Lavallee learning Rocky Mountain Way guitar lesson

Lavallee

Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:14 pm

Merci Pierre, isn't it a great series? , as the new lessons are coming up, it gets more exciting. The play alongs are really useful to integrate the notions.

Marc

Craig

Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:51 pm

Marc,
Very cool choice of song. Like Suzi mentioned, I too like a little talking intro into what led you to the song and what you are concentrating on etc. I thought it sounded great. Thanks for sharing.
Craig

Lavallee

Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:52 pm

Thanks a lot Craig, even though I make professional presentation of our products, I always find it difficult to speak to a camera. I have participated on a local TV show which was about loosing weight (the effects have fade away unfortunately :( ) They were filming when doing exercises, in your house, in group session. In any of those I was natural, fluent, full of ideas but when I was alone the speak about something , I felt like the Looney Tunes dancing and singing frog who only performed in front of the person who found it but could only quack in front of the crowd.

Marc

michelew

Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:17 am

Marc,

That was really cool. That sure sounded bluesy to me. I've been really enjoying the blues series too and now you've gone and given me even more reason to study harder.

I liked the percussive strumming and muting and the general feel that you've given it. You look so relaxed.

Very, very COOL!! I wonder if this is was Neil refers to as Chicago Blues (electric blue)?

Michele

willem

Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:32 am

Marc,can't you warning me when you start a talking intro,,i had my headphone on and volume highup for listen to the bleus...lol..Love the serie's to and have trouble already with the stretches,,but i stay on it,,bleus is great,,,and you did great,,you made me swing,,tap my feet,,shake my head,,etc,,,,keep the work goin,,, Imagetaa,ta,ta,da,da,daa,taa ta,ta,da,ta,da,,

AcousticAl

Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:07 am

Hi Marc!

I never tire of these student uploads. Marc- very cool upload here. Liked your introduction, rock solid tempo, muting.

So great to see people tackle a new technique/skill/genre and also pique the interest of others while doing it! Might have to get my own set of blues...

Lavallee

Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:36 am

Michele; thanks for your comments, blues is certainly fun. Good question about Chicago blues. From what I can read Chicago blues is more the electric side of the acoustic delta blues. I am sure it has more specific differences but on that definition if Rocky Mountain Way is a blues song (as I am still not sure if it is fully blues) it should fit the bill. The muted strings was part of the GP file I have but the heavier thumping/muting on the E string was not there. I was just trying to emulate the bass sounds, but I liked the effect

Willem: Thanks, actually harmonica could certainly be played on this song instead of the slide guitar, I bet it would make a great song. In you swinging make sure you do not reverse the tempo: tap your head and shake your feet ;)

Thank you Al: I thought it was a good timing to upload this song. I had worked on it for a while but forgot about it until the blues lesson cam up. I know it is not a Target lesson but I would certainly like if it would become one as Neil could should the details that I cannot pick up. It is great if it can spark more interest on Blues

dekotaj

Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:08 am

Bravo!!Marc,

Always liked Joe Walsh music.Great job on his song,really gets the foot a tapping.This was one of the song you would have jamming in the car as you were driving the avenue.Thanks for posting.

Kevin

jcrocket

Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:42 am

Marc -

Very nice, I really enjoyed that.

Always love to hear a good acoustic rendition of a non-acoustic song. Get someone accompanying with a slide on a resonator, and that would be a pretty cool duet.

One minor point, seems like on your low E part (the verse) you sometimes threw in a couple of extra beats. I find that those counting issues are helped by hearing the verses of the song in my head while playing it, especially in the early stages.

Jeff

Lavallee

Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:17 am

Hi Kevin thanks for the comments, it sure is a good rhythm song, great to do guitar faces when driving :laugh:

Thanks Jeff, I was actually singing in my head but obviously not loud enough ;) you are right about the extra beats, I will pay more attention. Now that you point that out, I have noticed that in the shuffle I was also a bit generous on the count. I would certainly love to have a chance to have a player with a resonator doing the solo.

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic