rapsidy norwegian wood/ H rising sun guitar lesson review upload

lueders

Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:52 am

Brad,

I love your attitude! I agree wholeheartedly with Tovo("I too, enjoy your self-deprecating humor.") & webostick ("I too, enjoy your winning personality')

As to the singing. You have too good of a voice not to sing!(I thought you did a pretty decent job of doing both.) If you don't keep singing I am gonna: swim the Ocean(s) and tread across the land masses, head to Perth, Australia and kick your butt. All kidding aside, any joyful sound you can add to the cosmos is a positive! It says I was here for X number of years, & I inhabited this space and sang...gosh dang it!

Way to go...

Technique-wise, I have one thing to add...On "wood" what three fingers are you using on D minor? The pinky on the second string (note D) is the way to go I think. Then the shift to the "Neil Hogan G" isn't as much of a lunge. This is our guru's favored fingering for D minor. Anyways you probably already know this. But there it is.

Also, I know you're warming up for some finger picked numbers and want to practice that
but I might be tempted to play house of the rising sun, (In the future) with a flatpick. You get more bite on the arpeggios.

Hydroman52

Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:46 am

Hi Brad, Looks like you've got plenty of good advice here. Just a few observations. It's interesting to see the improvement in your timing when you sing over when you didn't. Also, when you do the finger picking, your eyes are focused on your right hand and you only look a few times at your left. So, it seems like you are comfortable with the left hand chord thing. You're doing a fine job.

And don't forget the most important thing . . . . thank your wonderful wife for the tax money donation to keep your subscription alive. It's a great gift. She sounds like a real keeper to me (that's a huge compliment in my location on the planet).

Hydroman52

AcousticAl

Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:18 pm

rapsidy wrote:

Al thanks- i do struggle with that chord change as well as Dm- Em7. The G i use i just copy of Neils lesson and thought if i used the one you suggest (which u r right would be easier)there maybe repercussions :) if you know what i mean and i will TRY and relax the strumming. Appreciate the tips

I personally don't often deviate much from Neil's lessons or fingerings. But occasionally I do find little alternates like this that seem to help me out. They just make certain changes easier for me, so I thought I'd share.
But yes, you're right to follow Neil explicitly- note for note. That way you won't go wrong.

rapsidy

Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:38 pm

Kevin- Thanks for compliment :blush: that will keep me going for months. I wasnt aware of Hectors finger exercises, I watched him play and thought well i wont be able to do that for centuries so havent looked at his stuff, but will definately now, thanks for letting me know.

Marc- With the singing for me its about just enjoying it, I dont like to sound bad, but i am not worried if I do as i think that is what holds most people back from trying and believe they cant. I watched the video YES MAN (Jim carey) and thought that is good advice :laugh: So I have taken can't out of my vocabulary. I will break the song down as you said, that is encouraging that there are songs that take u a long time to learn, and that i am not an alien.

Suzi- Yes they are I know my HORS picking has improved as when i started i thought this is never going to happen, but slowly it gets better which is encouraging. The only thing I have is perserverance, i like that word, others just call me stubborn, competitive :S, usually though things come a little more naturally but not this thing, so I will keep ploughing on. Thanks

Cori- "swim the Ocean(s) and tread across the land masses, head to Perth, Australia and kick your butt".

they have planes these days mate :unsure: im sure that will be a lot easy, as you will be a bit exhausted to complete your plan by the time you get here! :) You have given me a perfect excuse now to keep it going, if anyone tells me to stop, i'll say i cant as i have been threatend with bodily harm :) Its probably hard to see on vid but I am playing the Dm the way you suggested. Is a flatpick different to a normal pick?

Hydroman- I do find it helps me GET the song when I sing and the timing, I know when you do a recording and your all nervous it looks like the singing hinders, but i have real difficulty counting measures etc.. at the moment. For example on CCR's wholl stop I can play the correct timing , measures when i sing it but cant when i dont, at the moment it is what brings it all together for me and makes it make sense, if you know what i mean. Yes my wife is wonderful have kept her for 17 yrs, well truth be known she has put up with me :unsure:

Al- I like the shortcuts easy way, i used to play the G that way in my brief guitar life and really struggled/le with Neils way, once i get better and can play both comfortably, i will use the easy method, i am practicing time of your life greenday which Neil says use the 4 finger G as you suggest, now i struggle going between the two lol

dtaylor

Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:49 pm

Well done on both tunes, there's plenty of technical advice from others who've learnt them but from my perspective I'd just thank you for the inspiration to learn them. I can't sing and play yet but I intend to learn and these two seem like good places to start. Thanks for posting.

Dean

MarkM

Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:44 am

Brad,

Great to see you back here. I was wondering where you went. First off, good job on both songs. I know I've said it before but man do you have a geat natural singing voice. I would kill for that. Norewgian Wood is tough on everyone. I think it's the tempo that gets folks. It's coming along really well. You've gotten good advice here on that. I will say that on this particular song I do use the 4 fingered G because I like the added sparkle on the high end of the chord. Definetly learn Neils way of the G fingering first though. It took me a painful couple of weeks to break my longstanding fingering habbit. Lighten up on the pick (just enough to hold it) hit the bass notes and then very lightly strum the rest. You'll do fine. It just takes time. I thought Rising Sun was great. You're well on your way there. Good to have you back and I look forward to your updates.

MarkM

buddy

Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:18 pm

Brad,

GREAT to have you back with us. I can't add much to the comments other than to say that your playing is progressing and I really like your relaxed approach to it all.

Bud

juanlla

Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:13 am

Brad,
Just wanted to thank you for posting this. It is so nice that I have just sarted going through Niel's lesson. As Michelle mentions I think that this is beyond other level 2 ones.

Juan

BigBear

Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:38 am

tovo wrote:
Hey Brad.

Great to see that you have renewed the subscription. Sure, it takes us mere mortals a bit longer to pick things up. So what? Nothing worthwhile comes easy mate.

OK, if there is one song in the entire Target program I am well qualified to comment on, it's Norwegian Wood. Your issue with this one mate is that you need to keep the right hand moving in order to keep the timing. It took me a LOT of practice to get it, but it does come. Secondly, you are too heavy on the strumming, lighten it up. This is Neil's "gotcha" tune. He has put it in at a 2 so that you think it will be easy to conquer. Not so my friend! Keep at it. If you want some good help, troll back to all the advice I got on it and you will be well on your way. Good luck with it.

House of the Rising Sun is a great 1st up finger-picking tune, it's the one I chose. Again, finger-picking is a matter of repetition. More emphasis on the 1st note and keep practicing it. It will come.

I enjoy your self-deprecating manner Brad, but don't get too down on yourself. It's not easy this stuff. Keep at it mate and most of all listen to the advice that is coming your way from dudes who know. If you do that, you can't help but improve.

Tony- that's awesome advice! Almost sounds like something I might say! :silly:

Brad- you're doing great! May I suggest that you learn Norwegian Wood thoroughly by strumming the chords before you attempt to pick out the melody? Until you can play the chords and their transitions perfectly forget about the melody. It's just too much to learn at once and you will just be frustrated.

After you get the rhythm and timing down pat, and it won't take long as far along as you are, then add in the melody line. Forget about singing it for awhile. That's just too much overhead for a relatively new player.

Then, when you do want to sing it, hum it first while you play. What you don't want to do is sing the melody, a common mistake. Also, be careful with the timing because you are adding measures to certain verses. Get comfortable with the timing of the original song and play it much slower than the Beatle's version but play it accurately. Always strive for accuracy over speed, another common mistake.

House of the Rising Sun is a classic old blues tune with very heavy emphasisis on the first beat of each measure. This song is a great way to learn arpeggios and you can also play the arpeggios with a pick so you can learn both ways. This song is mandatory for every guitar player! lol! Just like Stairway to Heaven!

I'm really glad you're back Brad and I hope to see more of your videos real soon! You are doing really well so keep it up and keep posting your videos!

Cheers! :cheer:

willem

Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:07 am

BigBear wrote:
. What you don't want to do is sing the melody, a common mistake.

Rick when i look on my songsheet(standaard notation)then the singin notes are exactly like the pickoutmelody notes,,,

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic