tovo learning to play "Something" (revisited) acoustic guitar

tovo

Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:29 am

Following review from Neil and the great assistance I have received from members I have been working to improve my touch and accuracy on this. I think I have made progress which is pleasing. Thanks for all the help.

michelew

Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:46 am

OK - who are you and what have you done with my mate Tony??? You look like him, you have his gorgeous new love in your hands, you've got the hat thing...but, that delicate, sensitive, versatile strumming looks nothing like the playing of a big green ogre that we all love. Maybe this is some portal into another reality.

Off to a slightly shaky start and then WOW! That sounded beautiful. The strumming was lovely and the bass notes/individual picking was strong and clear. You've got a really nice rhythm and feel going now.

Your hard work just continues to take you to new levels.

Beautiful.

M.

suziko

Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:48 am

Hi TOny,

I just watched Neil's review this morning, so it was nice to see your updated version. I had a hard time telling if you had corrected the barres the way Neil suggested, only because of the angle of the camera. But I trust you have. You seem to really be lightening up your stroke and i'm hearing less bass, which I like a lot. I think you're making good progress on this song. Nice job!

Suzi

Lavallee

Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:55 am

This is great Tony, what an improvement on the strumming. You have just the right finesse. The A chord from the riff sounds very well now and you are using the short bar too. Just rushing a few transition chords but I bet it is the camera effect, it will be perfect in no time. Your guitar player skills have jumped quite a bit.You are adapting much faster with Something than with the Norwegian wood. It is becoming way easier.

Great work

Marc

jayswett

Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:16 am

That guitar sounds incredible, and you played the song like a pro. Nearly every note was clean, the strumming delicate and smooth. Very nicely done.

dennisg

Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:31 am

Nice job, Tony. I see some improvement.

I'd still like to see you hit fewer strings on that opening riff so that the root note doesn't have to compete so much.

But overall it looks like you're beginning to take all the input to heart.

pbraun

Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:00 am

Sounding really good, such a great sound from the guitar and your hands!

MarkM

Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:02 am

Well done Tony!!! I watched Neil's review and you certainly applied it to this performance. I wish I could take direction like that and then use it the way you did. As others have said, your strumming gets better with every take you make. Nice clear tones. You've inspired me to look at the lesson for this song and give it a go. Thanks for sharing.

MarkM

jcrocket

Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:39 am

Tony -

The improvement in your strumming is quite impressive. You've gone from being mechanical to being fluid and expressive, in a short time.

Was there a "breakthrough moment" for you in this progression, or some mental tip that made this easier? The reason I ask, I have a friend I've been playing with who's been playing for 5 years or so, who is making nice progress in just about every area but his strumming. I've tried everything I can think of to help him in this area.

(of course, I know the obvious answer is to get him to join the TG community. I've been working on him to do so, and haven't given up yet)

Nice job

Jeff

willem

Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:05 am

WOW!WOW!,really,that is something Tony,,you bring this song for you to a higher level..Neck higher,great hand position,angle plectrum right,hitting light the strings and on several places,,nice pet(dutch),great sound recording to(what can a mike do he),now i hear how beautiful your guitar sounds,,can't wait really till you sing it to..mate,mate,wow,wow,you can be so proud,thanks for encourage us to play and improve like you..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic