tovo learning to play "Something" (revisited) acoustic guitar

BigBear

Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:33 am

Tony- I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this. It's been a very busy Labor Day weekend. Seems like all I've done is cook and BBQ.

This video is about 300% better than the previous version. Here's what I really liked:

1. You have really shortened up your downstrokes and gained much control. You have even added a nice, light upstroke. It sounds much better.

2. Your chord transitions have smoothed out and the little run sounds better. Remember that it is an up and down stroke, not two downs. Alternate strokes allow you to stay at the same string and you don't have to go looking for the correct string with each stroke (which it looks like you are doing!)

3. You are picking up the emphasis on the first beat much better.

What I think needs work:

1. This is another song that doesn't reward really steady timing. You have good timing but at times it's too good. To the point of sounding mechanical. About 2/3rds of the way through the song the song really lost it's feel and definition. This song has many half and whole notes (plus rests) often at the end of verses. You tend to play everything with steady 1/4 note timing.

2. Most of us have more trouble with our left hands but I think it's your right hand that's giving you problems. It still seems stiff and tight. Lighten up and let it flow more!

I know this sounds critical but it's not. You are making huge progress and every iteration is significantly better than the previous one. It won't be long before you master this baby. Keep 'em coming buddy! This is a level 7 song!! :cheer:

tovo

Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:39 am

Bear I can't complain about that feedback, it's exactly the detail I am looking for.

I will admit that at times I get a little impatient looking at the gap between where I am and where I want to be. Thing is, this feedback will get me there quicker. Thanks.

BigBear

Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:32 am

tovo wrote:
Bear I can't complain about that feedback, it's exactly the detail I am looking for.

I will admit that at times I get a little impatient looking at the gap between where I am and where I want to be. Thing is, this feedback will get me there quicker. Thanks.

Tony, my friend, you've been playing how many years? And you are playing this stuff already? I've played 40+ years and level 7 songs are still tough.

Some people say the measure of success is not how far you got but how far you came from where you started! Your progress has been staggering. People like you, Michele, Suzi, Wrench and a few others are real inspirations because of your commitment and subsequent progress. I've progressed a lot but nothing like you have.

Enjoy your personal growth. You've earned it! :cheer:

michelew

Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:32 am

Tony,

I just had a quick look at the tab for this song and OMG! that's a freaky number of barre chords and unusual chord shapes. I'm now triple-ly impressed with your progress on this song. It overpowers me just looking at the tab.

WOW! Good going.

Michele

tovo

Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:53 am

Thanks Rick and Shel. Rick that's nice of you to say. It's funny, we are all so impressed with each other! I look at others and think "wow I wish I could play that". Thing is (and this definitely applies to you Michele as someone who is relatively new unlike these old guys who have been playing for years ;) ) I know you can play that song if you chose to learn it. Once you have committed to it you can learn it. With your talent no problem. (well...some teething problems along the way invariably but you know what I mean).

buddy

Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:12 pm

Wow, I leave town for a few days their is so much going on here that I can hardly catch-up. Tony, Wonderful job on this, you are making so much progress and it is really fun to see the energy and enthusiasm generated here.

I love the hat as well, although I think a big cowboy hat would look better on you.

Budster

tovo

Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:35 pm

Budster, thanks for the support and glad to hear you had a good break in the high country, I'm envious of that. For a time I lived up in the Northern Territory where a big Cowboy hat was almost compulsory. When in Rome...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic