tovo learning to play "Something" (revisited) acoustic guitar

AcousticAl

Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:22 pm

Tony,

As I told you in a PM- what a change from your first video! I would even say 'transformation'. Others have covered most of the other things I mentioned to you already.

One small thing I noticed in this version was your A-chord. You're using the 1-finger hinge-barre for it. You need more hinge in there, as you're fretting the high E-string and we're hearing an F# as part of the A-chord. The E-string needs to be either open or muted.

Craig

Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:55 pm

Great improvement Tony!
I think you take to heart Neil's and other members' advice and suggestions as much as anyone, then really work on it and it shows through in your updated videos. I'm happy for your improvement on this particular song, but I'm more happy about your overall dedication to get things better...(did that make sense? :laugh: )
Your TG friend,
Craig

tovo

Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:38 pm

Shel: You make me laugh. Thanks so much for the support you give to not just me but everyone. You're a terrific part of this community.

Suzi: Ditto to you. I have sure fixed the barres and as a result those notes are closer to what they should be. One of my weaknesses is not paying as much attention to accuracy as I need to, but it's improving and this song has really helped.

Marc: Thanks my friend. You are without doubt such a great help with your comments and advice, thanks so much.

Jay: I feel I'm playing it much better, not pro material but heading in the right direction. Thanks Jay.

Den: I should have clarified your advice when I had the opportunity because you have told me several times. (I'm a bit slow on the uptake at times). Do you mean hit fewer strings on the down-stroke? The first chord is the D so I'm hitting the D string, after that the A string but are you saying don't strum down to the high E? I think so, I'll clarify with you, thanks for the advice.

Pete: Thanks for the comment mate, much appreciated.

Mark: Thanks. I'm particularly happy with my improved strumming. One of my faults is to focus too much I what I can't do and not enough on what I have improved, so thanks for pointing that out.

Jeff: Thanks. To answer your question, for me there was no single breakthrough moment. I have one of those obsessive personalities that can be a blessing and a curse. I find it hard to leave something alone for too long. Several friends here on TG receive mails and questions from me on improving the tune I am working on. I play as much as I can and when I'm not playing I'm thinking or writing about playing. Thinking hard, if there's one breakthrough thing it would be that after being told several times to try and hit fewer strings and be more supple in the wrist, I concentrated on essentially trying not to move my arm at all, to make all movement from the wrist. That definitely helped a lot. Perhaps you can advise your friend to try that?

Willem: Thanks man. I don't think I will be singing this one. OK on the verses, can't hit the high notes on the bridge at all.

Al: Thanks and cheers for your PM. I'll take aboard your comment on the A. Good stuff.

Craig: You're a supportive friend mate thanks. You made sense no problem! It's important to me that people know I listen to what they tell me and try to apply it.

willem

Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:46 pm

tovo wrote:
Willem: Thanks man. I don't think I will be singing this one. OK on the verses, can't hit the high notes on the bridge at all.

you sing the verses and Dennis or the phantom the bridge.. B)

tovo

Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:09 pm

willem wrote:
tovo wrote:

you sing the verses and Dennis or the phantom the bridge.. B)
I'm OK with that.

dtaylor

Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:45 pm

Tony, this is the one song on the list that I'd love to get down but seems the most out of reach. You're playing it with the sublety it requires, more than the mere mechanics. Really looking forward to see where you can take it next time.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Dean

tovo

Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:26 pm

dtaylor wrote:
Tony, this is the one song on the list that I'd love to get down but seems the most out of reach. You're playing it with the sublety it requires, more than the mere mechanics. Really looking forward to see where you can take it next time.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Dean
Dean thank you. Mate if you can play "Never Going Back" as well as you do, I'm sure you can nail this one without too much grief. I look forward to you showing me how it's done properly!

neverfoundthetime

Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:42 pm

Good solid improvement Tony...that Taylor of yours is sounding sweeter each time.

juanlla

Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:39 pm

Tony,
I don`t know what can I add after everyone has said.
Just that you played this very nice, the gentle srumming sounds great.

Thanks for posting it.
Now you have to learn the solo, and play both pieces like Neil did on Wonderful tonight. ;-)

tovo

Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:04 pm

Cheers Chris. Maybe I should try playing in a kilt?

Juan thank you. I working on another solo right now (have been for several months) this one would sure be a good one to get down as well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic