lueders learning Bohemian Rhapsody 2 guitar lesson

MarkM

Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:05 am

Cori you are progressing nicely on this one. Really interesting song to play on guitar. I look forward to seeing your updates. Good job!!!!

MarkM

dennisg

Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:25 am

The chorus effect seems to work really well on this song. Very nice job, Cori, on a really action-packed song.

One thing I noticed is that your tempo is inconsistent -- there are speedups, slow-downs, and rushes to begin passages where some air might otherwise help. You might try playing this with a metronome for awhile until you get comfortable with the tempo.

lueders

Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:48 am

Upon listening to it a few times... I know what you mean; some parts are: rushed, some are playing catch-up, and some are almost sounding rubato.You have definitely given good advice. A metronome is another thing, I definitely need to do consistently. Your suggestion is definitely possible the intro is in 9/8 and the rest is is pretty much in 4/4. So I think I'll go back to practicing those separately. Thanks Dennis...

lueders

Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:58 am

michelew wrote:
Cori,

It's coming together really well. It's going to be awesome! Thanks for the peak.
Thanks Michele, I could really use some of your expertise on this one. If memory serves correctly I think I remember Neil saying you have had classical guitar training...and based on your Pink Floyd and other posts I think it shows. Anyways, I am no classical player and I had a question about block chords. Basically when to pluck and when to strum?

BigBear

Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:36 pm

Cori- WOW! You are really mastering that very difficult piece.

A couple of suggestions if I may:

1. You have acquired the dreaded "baseball grip" with your left thumb over the top of the neck. It should be loosely planted in the middle of the back of the neck. Don't worry, we've all had to break that bad habit thanks to Neil! And I still cheat! LOL!

2. You might consider using a thumb pick because the bass is almost non-existent. I thought maybe it was the camera just not picking it up but wathcing your right hand it seems you have a tendency to strike the bass notes as almost an afterthought. When you do the 4 note pinches for example, the bass comes through fine but during the other parts not so much.

3. BR has a very strange four part composition and the timing is critical (what song isn't?). Technically you are playing it extremely well, especially the ballad part, but the song needs more drama aka feel. Perhaps really emphasize each of those pinches and hold them slightly longer. And don't be afraid of pauses and rest strokes.

You made a comment as you sat down about "slowing down". Yep, that's a good idea. It kinda feels like you are racing to get through the song. It's only during the very last segment of the song when Queen starts rocking out that the tempo gets that quick. I'm sure a lot of that is just the jitters from playhing in front of a camera.

Overall, I'm really impressed. I can't think of many songs that would be tougher to do as a solo guitar piece and you've got it almost hammered.

Nice work buddy! You done good! LOL!

Cheers! :cheer:

lueders

Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:06 pm

Thanks Rick! Thanks Bigtime! Great advice...all of it. You've given me plenty 'o suggestions and that's why we're here...in the name of getting better. Thank you for your time and astute analysis. I appreciate it immensely! You are a scholar and a gentleman.

buddy

Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:19 pm

Cori,

Great start on this. I can't wait to see you progress with this song. All your hard work is paying off.

Bud

lueders

Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:21 pm

Willem-thank you, sir. I tend to agree with you most of the time about guitar effects.

Craig- Thank you, yep some parts are really repetitious with all the lateral movement.

Mark-Thank you sir, the unusual-ness is what I liked about this particular arrangement.

Marc- Thanks for the kind words. I feel the same way, it is definitely up there with
"stairway" in my book.

Thanks Everybody!

michelew

Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:39 pm

lueders wrote:
michelew wrote:
Cori,

It's coming together really well. It's going to be awesome! Thanks for the peek.
Thanks Michele, I could really use some of your expertise on this one. If memory serves correctly I think I remember Neil saying you have had classical guitar training...and based on your Pink Floyd and other posts I think it shows. Anyways, I am no classical player and I had a question about block chords. Basically when to pluck and when to strum?
Cori thanks for the compliment. Any expertise that I now have (and classical training I've received) has been due to Neil's and Hector's expert coaching and playing. Re: block chords, I'd guess it's going to depend on the way the artist plays it and how you want to interpret it too. Try both and then use the approach the has the right feel

Sounds like a good question for TG Live.

Michele

lueders

Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:11 pm

Crud, Tony i forgot to thank you for the reply. I am a knucklehead. That's a very nice complment! (Contagious-enthusiasm) Nice Travolta-reference too. You'd think I'd get a thank ya to you sooner... as consistently as you support folks on the Forum.

It really is a super fun song! Thanks Man.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic