webostick learning to play Blackbird (take 2) acoustic guitar

mebarrac

Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:36 am

Thanks to Neil and TG, I am finally making an attempt to learn Blackbird. This is all I could get done today. The Travis picking is still a challenge, but I am making progress with learning the fingerings. The Guitar Pro files are a tremendous help. What Neil offers in his lessons is phenomenal. I have wanted to learn this song for over forty years. Now I think I will, and can. There was always a mental hurdle or music materials I had never really made it clear how to play it. Thanks for TG.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Lavallee

Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:57 am

Great improvement on that second video, you are almost there. The fingering of the song is tricky but it looks much easier now. Once you have it nailed, you might want to look into Neil right hand suggestion that Al was talking about (only thumb and middle finger) . I already used it in other songs.

Great job

Marc

willem

Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:18 am

Great,,sounding well(2),,i think that i know you and over one or two weeks your the one that play's and singin it,,

RicksPick

Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:32 am

Great improvement between the two, your a quick study.
What set up are you using as I see you have a microphone? plugged into ?
Asking because quality is good

RicksPick

AcousticAl

Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:07 am

Lavallee wrote:
Great improvement on that second video, you are almost there. The fingering of the song is tricky but it looks much easier now. Once you have it nailed, you might want to look into Neil right hand suggestion that Al was talking about (only thumb and middle finger) . I already used it in other songs.

Great job

Marc
Thanks Marc. I looked at several of Neil's answers to Blackbird post on the Student Reviews. What I think I understand from Neil so far (and really like) is that he offers one or two or three ways to approach the playing of a song. And especially on Blackbird, there are many methods of picking and playing that can sound good. I'd like to eventually get familiar with how McCartney used two fingers to pinch and flick his index finger. Neil is teaching a Travis patter which I need to learn for that skill. I am so happy to finally attempt learning this song. Thanks for the help.

AcousticAl

Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:09 am

willem wrote:
Great,,sounding well(2),,i think that i know you and over one or two weeks your the one that play's and singin it,,
Thanks Willem. Your video and work on Blackbird helped me get over my fear of trying to learn this song. Thanks.

heatndude

Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:14 am

RicksPick wrote:
Great improvement between the two, your a quick study.
What set up are you using as I see you have a microphone? plugged into ?
Asking because quality is good

RicksPick
My gear for recording is on Apple iMac, using a M-Audio Profire 610 firewire interface, microphone is AKG cardiod. Sometimes I sweeten the sound by playing with reverb through Garage Band and using the audio out as the source for my video recording.

juanlla

Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:14 pm

Amazing progress from on the two videos, looks it's goint in the right direction.
You may want to try lowering down your left wrist a little bit, your thumb is showing up. This may help make the cord changes somehow easier.

GReat sound with your microphone. where do you plug it ? Wich soundboard are you using ?
Juan

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic