AcousticAl Fields of Gold guitar lesson review upload

AcousticAl

Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:51 am

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Two vids in two days??
Here’s an in-progress look at where “Fields of Gold” is at for me. I left out some of the repeated measures.

If you’re working on this song, you may notice that I’ve changed some of the fingerings in spots. Mostly the A-chord (and sometimes the D-chord). I like to have pivot fingers between chords where possible, and this song has some tough changes to land cleanly. I found that changing how I finger some chords (depending on what’s coming next) helps me get there quicker/cleaner.

For example-- the 3-fingered A-chord that I do using my middle, ring and pinky finger (I usually never use this fingering). This lets me keep my ring finger anchored on the B-string on the change to the D with F# in the bass. I also used a different D-chord in spots (index barring 1st three strings and middle on 3rd fret of B-string) to get me closer to the Bm shape that always follows it.

I’d be curious to hear yours (and Neil’s) opinion on tweaking things like this.

Lastly, I’d like to dedicate this upload to Tony, who most of you know has recently lost a close friend. That was what I was thinking about while recording this song.

suziko

Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:32 am

Hey Al,

It was nice to see this. I had this song all ready to post, and sort of at the last minute decided to go with Ivory Salamander instead. So it was nice to see your version of it up.

I've kept Neil's fingering for the A but have ditched the full barre on the Bm and just fret the B (what would be a B if you aren't capo-ing), since you never play the high strings on the Bm. That worked nicely for me, but certainly isn't necessary.

I also found that in the bridge when you're transitioning from D/F# to G, just keeping my pinky glued to the high D (again, relative to the capo) made for a smoother sound. I tried to see if you were doing that, but couldn't see.

All in all, I think you've got the mechanics of this song down. It's just a matter of getting it smooth, which obviously you know already.

Lavallee

Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:48 am

Hi Al, it is very nice of you to dedicate the song. Your playing looks very good. I also use different fingerings when I see fit. If you feel it is helping you, why not? Looking forward to hear what Neil will comment on this subject, good idea to point it out.

I noticed that when you come back on the Bm there is a bit of hesitation as it seems you want to make sure that the strings will sound cleanly. I find it difficult to fingerpick bars at the first and second fret and make them sound clean, probably why you are trying to get the short bar on the D chord that you are explaining.

Always like your video

Marc

AcousticAl

Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:50 am

suziko wrote:
Hey Al,

It was nice to see this. I had this song all ready to post, and sort of at the last minute decided to go with Ivory Salamander instead. So it was nice to see your version of it up.

I've kept Neil's fingering for the A but have ditched the full barre on the Bm and just fret the B (what would be a B if you aren't capo-ing), since you never play the high strings on the Bm. That worked nicely for me, but certainly isn't necessary.

I also found that in the bridge when you're transitioning from D/F# to G, just keeping my pinky glued to the high D (again, relative to the capo) made for a smoother sound. I tried to see if you were doing that, but couldn't see.

All in all, I think you've got the mechanics of this song down. It's just a matter of getting it smooth, which obviously you know already.

Thanks Suzi. I follow what you're saying about both points. I usually do that with the Bm too. Re. the 2nd point- that's another good change that I'll look into. It would let me keep the proper A-chord fingering as well. One of the problems I'd have with my way is I'd run out of room for my fingers if I was capo'd way up the neck.

AcousticAl

Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:52 am

Lavallee wrote:
Hi Al, it is very nice of you to dedicate the song. Your playing looks very good. I also use different fingerings when I see fit. If you feel it is helping you, why not? Looking forward to hear what Neil will comment on this subject, good idea to point it out.

I noticed that when you come back on the Bm there is a bit of hesitation as it seems you want to make sure that the strings will sound cleanly. I find it difficult to fingerpick bars at the first and second fret and make them sound clean, probably why you are trying to get the short bar on the D chord that you are explaining.

Always like your video

Marc

Hi Marc,

Yes- definitely some hesitation that I'll need to sort out. The short bar/D-chord was more to get closer to the Bm shape that follows it.

jayswett

Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:33 am

Nice rendition of that song. You manage to go effortless between flatpicking (My My Hey Hey) to fingerpicking (Fields of Gold)and I strive for that. Your guitar playing sounds great, so if you could just convince Suzi to sing it for you, we'd all have a nice collaboration watch. That song is high on my list to learn, once I've learned that Never Going Back Again bridge. Nicely done on this lovely song.

dennisg

Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:53 am

Very, very nice, Al. It's only going to get better and smoother with a bit more time put in it.

I'm happy that Eva Cassidy is finally getting her due.

AcousticAl

Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:56 am

jayswett wrote:
Nice rendition of that song. You manage to go effortless between flatpicking (My My Hey Hey) to fingerpicking (Fields of Gold)and I strive for that. Your guitar playing sounds great, so if you could just convince Suzi to sing it for you, we'd all have a nice collaboration watch. That song is high on my list to learn, once I've learned that Never Going Back Again bridge. Nicely done on this lovely song.

Way to volunteer suzi, jay! I'd be into it.
I'm currently involved in a collaboration that I need to see it through though. It's been a while in the works, but hopefully worth the wait.
:)

AcousticAl

Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:06 am

dennisg wrote:
Very, very nice, Al. It's only going to get better and smoother with a bit more time put in it.

I'm happy that Eva Cassidy is finally getting her due.

Yes Dennis, Eva's songs are beautiful. You also did her justice with your version of 'Autumn Leaves'.

suziko

Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:10 am

One other thing- I didn't capo at the 7th for the exact reason you mentioned- just too hard to fit my fingers in! Plus, I knew that I was going to at least try to sing it if I posted, and there's no way I can sing it when capo'd at the 7th. I capo'd at the 5th for a while, then finally moved all the way down to the 2nd because that seemed to work best for my voice.

I found the trickiest transition was in the bridge when you move from A (or A7) to Bm. It's a really quick change with no pivot fingers. I always had to keep thinking ahead and I'd at least make sure I got the 2nd string and the 5th string down (which you pluck on the first note) before I worried about the next notes. Still- it's not easy!

I really think you're making nice progress on this song, though, Al. I very much enjoyed watching this video!

Suzi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic