shurmo24 learning Black Water guitar lesson

shurmo24

Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:42 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

shurmo24

Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:48 pm

Hello all,

This is my first student video. Since I requested this song, I thought I'd better give it a try. I'm just learning fingerpicking since joining totally guitars so go easy on me!

buddy

Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:18 pm

Shurmo,

I thought you did a very nice job on this song. Your rhythm was fairly steady your notes came out nice and clear. For not finger picking very long, you are doing a great job.

I have not worked on this song so I can't give specific advice on the technical aspects of it. I do think it might help your finger picking to change the angle of your right hand a little bit. If you could tilt it down a little so that your thumb is not lined up with your fingers, it might free your hand up a little.

Bud

cosmicmechanic

Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:22 pm

Hi, I haven't tried this tune out yet either, but just at a glance you seem to be getting comfortable with your left hand traveling pretty much all over the fretboard.
There are some timing issues, which I find are the hardest to detect in my own playing ... got to play along with a lesson now and then.

Nice post, keep going, you'll have this more fluid soon enough :)

Pierre

lueders

Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:25 pm

Hello there shurmo24...congrats on your first TG post. (And, for being the first person to post his/her version of Blackwater...fitting since you requested it.)

Pretty ambitious song for a first outing...Nice JOB! Your playing has a lot of positive things going for it...Real Good! Cori

Lavallee

Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:01 pm

Hi Shurmo good job on Black Water, you have the rhythm, and the song comes out nicely. You could try to slow it down quite a bit when practicing. You could get the right hand to pick the individual notes carefully until you do not have to think about it. It will be easier to increase the speed after.

Welcome to the video posting world

Marc

tovo

Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:33 pm

Hi mate,

I thought it was good. I think the next step is to get very comfortable with it so you can get some real feel into it. I think it's a pretty sound first upload effort though, well done indeed.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:59 am

Hi Shurmo welcome to the video posters' club! Nice first video. Don't know the song so it's hard to say too much. I liked the sound of it... just wondering if the timing needs to be more regular. I'm sure someone who knows more will be along to comment.

mark

Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:47 am

I think you have made a good start on this.

One thing i notice is that your hammer ons are generally too quick, especially on the first part. You are playing almost like grace note hammer ons where they should get the full eighth note time value.

Neil does a half speed play along. If you play along with that, you should hear the difference between your hammer ons and neils

willem

Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:58 am

Hello Shurmo,Doobie Brothers,,great songs and sounds,,when you can add the sounds of the Doobie Brothers then you have some songs in your repetoir that get much attention from people that listen to you,,i've seen the lessons but found the transtion very difficult,,so you can be proud when you nail it,,for this song( i think) its very important to get also so the diffrent feels to it..thanks for sharing and wish you a lot of uploads and get much of suggestions and tips the get better..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic