shurmo24 learning Black Water guitar lesson

BobR

Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:21 pm

Shurmo,

Great Song choice. It sounded pretty good but I think a bit fast. The only other comment would be your right hand position. While I am definitely no finger picker, I know Neil recommends a little different position and thought if you're just starting you might look at Neil's Quick Tip Fingerpicking: Right Hand Position at the Master Menu under free Guitar tips and lessons. Just an observation.

Good job and thanks for posting.

Bob

jayswett

Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:54 am

You looked very comfortable fingerpicking that piece for someone who hasn't been doing it very long. I would suggest slowing it down a bit, but otherwise, it seems to be coming along quite nicely.

suziko

Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:09 am

That's a challenging "first fingerpicking piece" choice! I started working on it last week, and I find the rhythm to be incredibly hard to nail.

I think you're making good progress, but your tempo seems to vary a bit throughout. Also, as Mark mentioned, your hammers-on need to be given more time. I'd slow it WAY down for a while, then work back up to tempo once you've mastered everything.

Otherwise, nice job!

Suzi

dekotaj

Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:00 am

Bravo!!Sir,

Thanks for taking time to post this song.Sound good,Doobie Brothers were a big deal when we were a bit younger,and cruising the avenue,A lot of great song by these guys.But this one had to be one of their biggest.Great tune!

Kevin

AcousticAl

Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:52 am

Hi Shurmo,

Ambitious first upload to be sure! I've worked on this piece a fair bit as well, and my main advice is echoing what others have already said-- slow it down. Let the notes breathe more. When you go too fast, you lose the cool syncopation during some of the song.

Looking forward to more...

shurmo24

Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:27 pm

Thanks for all the great responses. This is such a good way to get feedback. The tempo of the original is pretty fast and I was trying to imitate that. I guess the Doobie Brothers have had 30 years to make it look easy and I neede more time to accomplish that. I will continue to practice at a slower tempo. When I began to tackle the song I started to think what I got myself into! Neil makes it look effortless and these songs are more difficult than you realize.

tovo

Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:04 pm

Hi Shurmo,
Great start, and the shape and sound of the song is in place for you to refine. Your performance has motivated me to look at the Doobie Brothers lessons. As Neil comments, they look sort of simple on first look, but it is the very specific strumming and timing that give the songs their signature sound. And Neil makes it look easy. I marvel at his rhythm/strumming skills, among other things. Keep up the good work. Once you get the groove and the bluesy feel, I think it will be a lot of fun to play.

MarkM

Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:57 am

Shurmo,

Just got around to seeing this. Nice job so far. Others have given good advice. I'd be interested in seeing how you progress with this. Keep the updates coming.

MarkM

d_dog

Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:02 am

Hi Shurmo24, nice job, I love that song. You have everything down pretty well as far as chords and notes but perhaps it's a bit fast. Try playing it much slower and letting it flow. Love to hear more from you. Great job! :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic