tovo "Where ever you will go" guitar lesson review upload

tovo

Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:43 pm

This tune is one I have wanted to play since before I could finger a C Chord. I have used the Target program to help me with that goal. I spent a couple weeks on "Don't Fear the Reaper" to improve my ability to pick out individual notes and then applied that with this song. In that way, I hope to demonstrate my belief in the value of Target even when the end result for review is not a Target song.

I would say that I didn't put the feeling into it that I wanted, simply because it was my biggest challenge to date in terms of playing and singing simultaneously.

It's very cool to be able to take on favourite tunes with the help of TG.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

dennisg

Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:07 pm

tovo wrote:
This tune is one I have wanted to play since before I could finger a C Chord.
Really? You've wanted to play this song since last week? Amazing!

Tony, I don't think your effort was just good -- I thought it was fantastic. This is the best thing you've done since Hallelujah. Congratulations. That picking pattern ain't easy, and you looked like you had it absolutely nailed. What's more, the transition from the strumming to the picking was seamless. Just a beautiful performance. I'm totally impressed. Awed, actually.

michelew

Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:03 pm

Tony,

WOW!!!!!!!! You're a bonified musician. You could take this to an open mic night.

You OWN this song. When I first started watching your video I thought something strange had happened and I'd accidentally opened iTunes. I'm not kidding.

I really loved it. I especially loved the flat picking sections; really sharp, clear, ringing throughout - just gorgeous.

Your singing was perfect for this song and while you might have been able to put more emotion into it, you where still very expressive.

You really are making the most of your $20 a month.

I loved it. It's your best performance ever.

Michele

AndyT

Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:15 pm

Beautifully done my friend.
I like the arpeggio. I saw you drop a note or two and you just kept right on going, just like the pro level player you are. Going from the arpeggio to the strumming was perfect. Smooth and right on time. However, the transition from the strumming back to the arpeggio seemed a bit forced and sudden. I think you might benefit from just playing a measure of each and going back and forth between them to totally wipe out any remaining slack.

Your singing has improved. I see you've found your voice and volume. Very smooth and on key. Well done.

Overall I give it a 9. Add a black background with a spotlight on you and it would be perfect.

coomba

Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:39 pm

G'day Tony

Straight to the pool room with that one mate !

You and TG should be very pleased and proud of your progress as a guitarist/entertainer it is quite inspirational.

Well done
Cheers Scott

takhak

Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:54 pm

THAT WAS KILLER GOOD!!

wammer

Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:00 pm

Tony

Spectacular......I absolutely love The Calling and I absolutely LOVE what you did with this song. It suits you and your voice so perfect. I caught it a couple of times I could see you were ready to just let it blast the same way you do when your driving (LOL). WOW you should be very proud of that performance. Yeah a tweak here and a tweak there maybe but who am I to judge besides you had a camera in your face right!!!!!!

If I lived closer it would pizza and beers all around

Tammy

lueders

Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:35 pm

NICE TONY! That picking bit has got be tough to sing over the top of...Color me impressed! And you made it look really easy! This is neither here or nor there...but, I thought you sounded like those cats vocally too...I dunno if that was intentional but it came through.

That got me thinking how once the singing starts... certain vocalists sometimes sound different,than you would expect based on where in the world they hail from.
For example:
"Bush" (the band not the president) is British and sounds American
"Greenday" is American and sounds British (at least when they first came out they did)
(Then there are the thespians of the world who can add & drop accents at will.)

Sorry to get tangential Tony. I thought you kicked major butt on this one! Great job!
You should be really proud....DEFINITELY!

Lavallee

Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:08 pm

I love that video Tony, the alternante picking is excellent and you are singing very well. This is smart to use one lesson technique on another song, definitely an important progression as a guitarist. I do not really notice any tension, like if you have played this song for years.

Congrats

Marc

tombo1230

Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:14 pm

Obviously a lot of work has gone into this song and well worth the effort. Brilliantly done!

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic