tovo "Where ever you will go" guitar lesson review upload

tovo

Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:19 pm

Really pleased that this one appears to be headed in the right direction. You know when it's a real favourite and you want to do a good job, but it doesn't always work out that way!?

Den: Thanks so very much mate. I really value your input because you are always constructive, honest and encouraging. I'm very pleased that you liked it.

Shel: Again, as someone who I admire as a player and a friend I'm glad you liked it. Thanks.

Andy: Thanks for that really constructive feedback. You are absolutely right I need further work on the transition back to picking from the strum, a couple times it was less than smooth. I really want to continue to develop this one as I see it as a great exercise in playing a reasonably complex pattern and singing so with work I'm sure it will benefit me overall. Black background eh? Might need to think about that. Good tip!

Scott: The kangaroo is happy mate so I am happy as well. "Straight to the pool room" lol. I understand you and Shel will, not many others will though!

Takhak: Thanks man!

Tammy: I tell you what my Canadian correspondent, you fly over and I'll buy the pizza and beer. Glad that you are a Calling fan and liked my rendition. Thanks a lot, always good to hear from you. (eh).

Cori: Thanks a lot for commenting. I was interested the other day, Al said that he is a very good imitator. I didn't try to sing like the dude from the Calling, I just have that deeper voice. I always knew that it was a tune more suited to my voice than some others. For example I can't contemplate singing "Something". Just too high. Anyway, don't apologize for getting tangential...I dig a bit of that. I also really like Greenday. "Time of your Life" is on my list.

Marc: Thanks so much. I've worked for a good 2-3 weeks on it, and I had tried to play it some time ago but didn't have the skills.

Tom: Thank you very much for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate that.

Music Junkie

Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:20 pm

Tony:

I have to tell you that I really dug this man..... This song is one that really interested me from a guitar standpoint as well. I have messed with it from time to time, as my skills have progressed. The picking is fun and you did it QUITE well. I have found that I am getting better at singing and strumming, but singing while picking is still very tough for me. I am really happy you shared this with us. I have said so many times that there are songs out there that will probably never make it to the Target program, but all the tools we get here will make most, if not all, of them available to us. You have concreted that yet again......Sweet!

On a more serious note......You should really think about bombing a few songs once in a while. You are starting to set the bar very high not only for yourself, but for the rest of us as well...... ;) ;) ;)

Excellent work my friend.

Jason

tovo

Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:28 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
Tony:

I have to tell you that I really dug this man..... This song is one that really interested me from a guitar standpoint as well. I have messed with it from time to time, as my skills have progressed. The picking is fun and you did it QUITE well. I have found that I am getting better at singing and strumming, but singing while picking is still very tough for me. I am really happy you shared this with us. I have said so many times that there are songs out there that will probably never make it to the Target program, but all the tools we get here will make most, if not all, of them available to us. You have concreted that yet again......Sweet!

On a more serious note......You should really think about bombing a few songs once in a while. You are starting to set the bar very high not only for yourself, but for the rest of us as well...... ;) ;) ;)

Excellent work my friend.

Jason
Thanks MJ. I reckon I have bombed my fair share mate! Remember a little tune called Norwegian Wood by any chance? And I think my initial efforts on Something left a lot to be desired!

Anyway, it's about getting better eh! I did find it tough to pick and sing that, which is why I commented on appearing a little "detached"...I was concentrating like a madman!

I really do think this would make an excellent Target tune. I know we have as a community had much discussion about Target vs non-Target tunes, and I really do think that the Target tunes teach techniques needed to play similar tunes, or at least tunes with similar technique. As I said, I used "Don't Fear the Reaper" to help with this, but they are hardly the same tune to say the least. I think this is precisely what Neil is trying to achieve with the program so it's why I post a non-target tune every so often.

Thanks MJ. By the way mate, your playing was good enough to win a guitar! That's not too shabby I must say.

pbraun

Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:31 pm

Yeah Tony that was excellent, you've got that guitar humming!
Pete

cosmicmechanic

Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:11 pm

Really nice ... I mean really.

Not much else to add, you should be proud of your progress.

Pierre

P.S.
Really very nice

Chasplaya

Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:52 pm

Where do I sign you up? What a fantastic example of what this site is about, learning a skill from one song and transferring it to another, bravo my friend just awesome. A few minor picky points been raised from others but nothing from me this would pass at any open mic night easily.

Once you have these all down you need to work on performance i.e. looking at the camera/audience; and that's all folks! Image

tovo

Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:58 pm

Pete: Thanks buddy, you are always a positive guy.

Pierre: Merci! My progress is helped by people like you.

Chas: Thanks mate. You are absolutely right, I just need further work to gain the confidence in picking that out without feeling the need to look. I can do it reasonably well without singing, combining all 3 is a touch hard but I'll get there. Appreciate your support always.

BobR

Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:40 pm

Hi Tony,

Well you've come a long way from the C chord. I think you did a fabulous job on everything, picking, strumming and singing. Excellent job!!! It must be the hat :laugh: No, I think a lot of hard work that's paying off.

I think I'll go watch it again,

Bob

Music Junkie

Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:55 pm

tovo wrote:
Thanks MJ. I reckon I have bombed my fair share mate! Remember a little tune called Norwegian Wood by any chance? And I think my initial efforts on Something left a lot to be desired!
Tony: Yeah, you may have struggled with it, but you did get it in the end....testament to hard work and perseverance..... B)
As I said, I used "Don't Fear the Reaper" to help with this, but they are hardly the same tune to say the least. I think this is precisely what Neil is trying to achieve with the program so it's why I post a non-target tune every so often.
I feel exactly the same way. The tools are there, it's up to us to use them..... :)

J

Craig

Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:52 pm

Wow Tony! Your picking was clean, the transitions to strumming was smooth, your voice fits the song so well. You have become a musician right before our eyes. Congratulations to you. I'm very happy for you.
Your Target Friend,
Craig

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic