webostick Blackbird (Sept. 18 '10) guitar lesson review upload

TGMatt

Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:14 am

I thought I would have more time to practice and do a better job. Called to go to work 10 hours earlier than expected, so this is a little rushed and down and dirty with a few cross finger mistakes. More or less up to speed. Next thing is singing? I don't know about that.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Lavallee

Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:32 am

You are cooking , Wally, sounds great, a few trips but it did not stop you and it was very fluid. Looking forward to the singing version.

Marc

dekotaj

Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:56 am

Bravo!!Wally,

Got that Guild sounding great.Very good job.

Kevin

lueders

Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:11 pm

Wally that sounded downright proficient & tasteful. (I think you made too much of the so-called babbles/flubs.) You played 98% of it so nice and fluid you don't even hardly notice 'em...(you almost have to be looking/listening for them...to realize where they are there.) I know 100% perfection is the goal; but I am learning... thanks to this site...that you can have a darn good performance that has a couple flaws. I think most of the time if the rest of the performance is solid, (like your's was) the brain kinda forgets. (Unless, the problem is timing-based then that is a different story.)

Your work ethic is still top notch. I dunno if this makes sense...but I would say, EVEN your rate of improving is improving! (you know? from song to song...)
B.T.W. That is a nice sounding guitar I am jealous!

tovo

Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:25 pm

Hey Wally, just great work mate. You were aware of the couple of minor stumbles and as other said, they didn't negatively affect the overall performance which was great. In my opinion your best effort to date. All I can say is keep them coming.

haoli25

Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:56 pm

Good job, Wally. You are soooooooooo close to having this one nailed. All of your hard work is really paying off, it sounds really good to me. One suggestion for you, try keeping your left thumb on the middle of the neck. It will change the angle that your fingers contact the strings. That tip from Neil helped me a lot. Thank you for posting your video.

Bill

AcousticAl

Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:50 pm

Great job, Wally.

Very tough song to keep good time to- especially at that speed. You didn't let the metronome beat you- and you kept good time even through the couple of 'bobbles', as you called them

willem

Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:07 am

Wally,,you got it,

Lavallee

Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:41 am

Lavallee wrote:
a few trips but it did not stop you and it was very fluid. Looking forward to the singing version.
Marc
Singing is still problematic. I went back to the original on the White Album and used a slow down program to listen to how McCartney sings it. What is interesting is how his melody and lyrics as he sings sort of free flows in and around and over and in between the beat. It is more bluesy/jazzy than I remember or imagined, especially on "Blackbird fly into the light of a dark black night".

dekotaj wrote:
Got that Guild sounding great.Very good job.
Kevin
Thanks Kevin. The Guild has been with me quite a while. About twenty years ago my house was robbed -- they got some electric guitars and some other stuff, but missed my acoustic. That would have really broken my heart.

lueders wrote:
e...but I would say, EVEN your rate of improving is improving! (you know? from song to song...)
B.T.W. That is a nice sounding guitar I am jealous!
Thanks Cori. My wife was out of town last week, so I was able to put in some long all day practice sessions. Blackbird has been on my wish list for songs to learn for really 40 years. So it is a breakthrough mentally to finally work at "getting it". I am motivated and it is so satisfying to play it in some fashion that sounds recognizable to the recording.

tovo wrote:
You were aware of the couple of minor stumbles and as other said, they didn't negatively affect the overall performance which was great. In my opinion your best effort to date.
Thanks Tony. I am proud of the fact that the fumbles didn't make me stop, but I was able to plow ahead and stay more or less with the beat. Thanks for cheering me on. It helps.

haoli25 wrote:
[quoteOne suggestion for you, try keeping your left thumb on the middle of the neck. It will change the angle that your fingers contact the strings. That tip from Neil helped me a lot.
Bill[/quote]

Thanks Bill. Changing thumb placement is going to be hard. A lot of years of ingrained bad habits. But my awareness has been raised. I will try to work on that too. I know it is for my own good in the long run, but it is hard to change.

AcousticAl wrote:
Very tough song to keep good time to- especially at that speed. You didn't let the metronome beat you- and you kept good time even through the couple of 'bobbles', as you called them
Thanks Al. When everything starts to work in a song, and you approach some mastery of it, you can accompany and "walk" along with the metronome and the beat. Everything starts to get more relaxed, and the feeling and anxiety of trying to keep up with it falls away.

willem wrote:
Wally,,you got it,
Thanks Willem. Your good cheer and encouragement helps motivate my learning.

Thanks for all the help, advice and kind words. It means a lot to me.

Wally

rapsidy

Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:47 am

Webostick

Very nice dancing up and down the guitar there, sounded great and would diffinately would like to hear you sing it :)

This is a popular song on here but for some reason it just doesnt grab me like other beatles songs, what i have listened to of the beatles (which isnt alot) it doesnt seem to fit in with there other stuff. Anyhow music all subjective

and you did a really good job!

NOW SING IT :P :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic