buddy learning to play ROMANZA acoustic guitar

buddy

Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:46 pm

Michele,

You are so correct that some of those stretches are really tough !!!! I would love to try this on a classical guitar, you know any excuse to buy a new guitar works for me :-)

Bud

michelew

Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:10 pm

This is definitely one of those pieces that sounds sweeter when played on nylon strings. Go for it.

webtvdan

Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:51 pm

Romanza / Romance is both easier and harder to play on a classical guitar.

Classical Guitar necks have a 2” nut width and 2 ½” 12th fret width. Steel string acoustics typically have a 1 3/4” width at the nut and 2 ¼“at the 12th fret.

The “stretches” are longer on a classical – but there is more room for the fingers.
Seated with your left foot on a stool places the classical guitar neck in the perfect position to play this piece.

Recently heard some great sounding inexpensive steel string acoustic guitars. A friend has a $300 Martin that is incredibly loud (“cannon” comes to mind) with reasonable intonation. He complains his guitar goes out of tune when capo’d – don’t have the heart to explain why. Predict it’s not so easy to find a bargain classical guitar that sounds good with perfect intonation required for upper fret classical music.

As a ‘yout’ a classical was my primary guitar and an acoustic relegated to camp fires. Spent more on a classical guitar than my first car.

Just discovered a thread in the Acoustic Guitar Technical Q & A – “Classical guitar,,,,Can you show yours???” – Will put up pictures of my handmade SYari in the next couple of days

After a 30 year respite - by far prefer to play my new sunburst Taylor.

Dan

michelew

Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:54 am

Dan,

That's all very practical advice...but what about poor Buddy's GAS? It obviously needs feeding. ... I could be wrong there.

Buddy - Dan is right about the stretches being harder and the wider neck takes some getting used to. All the same, I love the sound of my classical and playing it and some songs just sound better on it.

But it all depends what your needs are and what you're intending to play in the future as to whether it's worth it to you to buy one.

Have fun. I find that just dreaming about a new guitar or what I might buy if I was loaded is fun too.

Michele

neverfoundthetime

Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:33 am

A nylon string "Folk" or "Western" Guitar is an interesting compromise to a Spanish Classical. As I said, I grew up to the sound of my mother playing Spanish Classical and I often picked up her guitar. I found steel string guitars hard to play so went for a Takamine EN60C with nylon strings. It's wider at the neck but not as wide as a Spanish and the nylon strings are easy to play finger style and the bass notes come though well.

My other guitar is a Takamine 12 string... so the only guitar I don't have is a steel 6 string. Hope to remedy that soon.

Lavallee

Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:47 am

I have been lurking on nylon string guitar and the guitar type Chris talked about is what interests me the most. It has the nylon string sound but still has a cutaway and can be used with a strap. I have tried that 60C Takamine and it sure sounds nice as demonstrated by Chris on each of his videos. Some songs just sounds nicer on nylon strings mainly because this is the type of instrument on which it was written and as interpreter we refer to the original.

Marc

dennisg

Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:46 pm

Sorry to get here so late. You did a great job, Buddy.

carpet

Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:39 pm

Hey Buddy. Great vid. Right, purely from a listeners point of view (cos I've never even attempted this song), it sounded good, really smooth - there were quite a few notes in places that need more sustain, or that you'd cut short in your transitioning. Thats about the only thing I think you'll need to correct. Now onto the good stuff... Basically, you're all over it!! Your hand positions look perfectly in place and relaxed, nothing on the fretboard in this song looked even remotely challenging to you, and your timing was superb, as i said before, it was very smooth. Can't believe you've not been playing this long. You should post a repeat once you've got the rough bits as smooth as the rest, but even as it is, it's already of a very high standard. Job well done!

Danny

buddy

Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:04 pm

Great discussion from you all on the merits of classical guitars and the options available. You have given me some serious G.A.S. pains now :-).

buddy

Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:05 pm

Dennis, Good to here from you. I was wondering if you had disappeared to the Tour De France ?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic