buddy learning to play ROMANZA acoustic guitar

buddy

Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:55 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

A few days ago my mate Tony encouraged me to try one of the classical pieces in the guitar instrumental section of the Target program so I decided to give it a go. I am very glad that gave it a try as i have fallen in love with this song, and thanks Tony for the suggestion.

Here is a rough first post of the song Romanza that I have started working on. I wanted to post it up early even though it is still rough so as to get suggestions and comments before I get mistakes ingrained to deeply in the song.

Sorry for the mess in the background as I am rearranging the library to make more room for guitar things and have stuff all over the room.

Any comments, tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bud

AndyT

Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:02 am

Bud,

Sounds like you're having some Mic issues. Other than that, its a great start.

tovo

Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:11 am

Hey Buddy. Man if you have only been playing that since I suggested it for you then it confirms what I suspected, that you pick things up pretty damn quick and need a really challenging piece to take on. This may well be it, particularly if it strikes a chord with you so to speak.

I have looked at this lesson a number of times, but never committed to taking it on. I like however something that Neil says in it, about learning the notes first, and then turning it into music with the right tempo, emphasis, feeling and expression (he didn't say it exactly like that but you get the drift).

You are well on your way to mastering the notes. The 2nd bit will be harder. I don't want to go on listing tech tips because I can't play the piece myself and you can get all the tips from Neil which is much better. I would check out (if you haven't already) the part of the lesson that talks about expression.

Good on you mate for taking on this really challenging piece of music. I really hope you continue to develop it as it's a beautiful, moving piece in my opinion and it is sure within your capability to do it justice with a few months work (or maybe less for you).

RicksPick

Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:43 am

Hi Buddy

Good choice, sounds good so far

RicksPick

abiliog

Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:36 am

Buddy,
Very good start on a very difficult piece.
I'm also trying to learn this piece for about a few months, so I will catch any advice from other friends here as well.

I think Tovo is right about learning the notes first (you already done that), and play it at a slower tempo. Then progressively, increase the speed and finally add your expression to it. There are great tips from Neil in his lessons and on TGNaz student review.

This is a very challenging one, and you are on your way up.
Looking forward to your next video.

Abilio

willem

Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:24 pm

Yes Bud(dy),this is a very challenging instrumental and hope the master get in to it for you and us,,when you master this piece and play it down the fireplace on a saterday evening and see is around,,well see will melt.lol...just joking..or not...well,,like Tony said and i'm thinkin that to,you pick up very quickly,,how many hours(or minutes)do you practice a day?? i think that Neil means with get comfort with the notes that you memorise them and realy know were they are and after that try to play it with expression and feeling..veel sukses buddy with this nice piece,,i must go back to it..

suziko

Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:10 pm

This is a beautiful piece, one I'd like to learn myself at some point. Seems to me like you've already made a lot of progress on it. I wish I could offer more advice, but I will say that you've inspired me to take a look at the lesson again!

Suzi

webtvdan

Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:27 pm

Hi Buddy,

I’m familiar with the piece (and can play it). You’re obviously “feeling” the music – it shows. I learned this song in an arrangement called “Romance” in a book by Frederick M Noad as a teenager.

A couple of suggestions.

This song would be MUCH easier to play sitting down. I like your angle of the guitar neck – try to get the same sitting. Classical guitarists put their left foot on a foot stool to get the proper angle. I just raise my acoustics neck when playing this kind of music nowadays. (My classical rarely comes out of its case).

Can’t tell if your microphone is the problem or lack of finger nails. This tune sounds better with long nails on your right hand. Classical guitarists even get particular on the shape of their finger nails. Don’t know that shape is as important as length with steel strings – but can definitely hear the difference when I break a nail. Kind of sounds like what I’m hearing in your recording.

With 388 posts here, I’m sure you’ve heard of Audacity. I take Neil’s “Play through” - slow the tempo with Audacity i.e. 30% – then gradually increase the speed i.e. 20% - until eventually I’m at full speed – then put my spin on the piece. My video of Clapton’s “Tears in Heaven” is a good example of my interpretation of Neil’s Arrangement. If you haven’t tried the “tempo” adjustment with Audacity yet – this would be the perfect song for it.

Well done!

buddy

Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:53 pm

Andy,

I think I had the mic to far away and also directly over the sound hole.

Tony, Thanks again for this suggestion.

Rick, thanks for checking in.

Abilio, good to hear from you. I agree with you on your approach to this song.

Willem, I will have to try this around the fire place with a bottle on wine as you suggested. :-) I try to practice 2 hours a day during the week and maybe 4 hours on the weekend.

Suzi, Thanks for the encouragement. I would really enjoy seeing you post up this song.

buddy

Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:56 pm

Dan,

After working on this song I now see why classical guitarist prefer those funny strings and have really long fingernails. I will look into your audacity tip as it sounds like a really great idea.

Thanks for the suggestions and the pointers.

Bud

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic