RicksPick learning to play Needle and the Damage Done acoustic guitar with update

RicksPick

Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:13 am

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Hi There

Been playing this a while now so thought I would upload it, not to happy with the sound/strumming Im getting, a few mistakes but kept going, comments please guys.

A little history on the hat - This is an original American Sailors hat from 1970
I borrowed it from my father in law who was in the Royal Air Force, stationed in Malta, whilst touring the local bars as you do, he came across a sailor unconcious on a tabe, He thought what a nice momento, lol, so here it is 40 years later.

RicksPick

willem

Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:25 am

Hey Sailor,,alway's a funny pitch,i love it,,can say much on the song,,only maybe an suggestion on to try a pick,,i believe you can alternate the pick out notes better in his ups and downs(if they must),the song came along,maybe a litlle more practice speed but you did good with the nome,,did you repair the wornout frets?? i heard a bit buzzing,can't tell it were the wornout's,,

ps How you doing on the other songs you were on??

RicksPick

Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:30 pm

Thanks Willem

:laugh: different guitar, not the buzzy one,that was just me not holding cleanly and yes I think I will have to take the plunge with a pick

Hope to get more video up in the next couple of days

RicksPick

Lavallee

Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:19 pm

Hi Rick good work in progress. Good work with the metronome. The swing time rhythm is coming out very well.

I agree with Willem on the pick. You could built the confidence in picking the note better rather than alternating between the invisible pick and the thumb only. The first beat is always following the metronome but because you are trying to be too smooth in the strumnming and with the focus on the picking notes , quite often the tempo of the other beats is skewed.

Looking forward to an update. Like all these hats you are finding, especially this one with the good story

Marc

buddy

Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:40 pm

Rick,

Fun video and nice hat. I think you got some good advice from Willem and Marc. Your rhythm was nice on this and as you relax a little the feeling of the song should come out better.

Looking forward to some more of your videos and more hats.

Bud

tovo

Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:31 pm

As you know Rick, I'm a big fan of the hat but I think I draw the line at dressing like a sailor! :) Remember, what happens at sea stays at sea!

Anyway, I have nothing useful to add other than my encouragement. Keep working on it, in particular get hold of a pick I think as already suggested.

Thanks for the look.

haoli25

Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:55 pm

Nice work, Rick. You have reminded me that I need to use a metronome more often. Great story about the hat. Thanks for posting your video. Now, more hats and more videos from you. :)

Bill

jayswett

Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:47 pm

You are well on your way with that one; just need a bit more practice, and in a few weeks, you'll have it nailed down pretty well. Watching you play reminds me that I'd like to get back to that song a re-learn it. It must be a year since I've taken a crack at that one.

BobR

Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:35 pm

Hi Rick,

As others have said a little more practice and maybe a pick, you'll be on your way.

Good job and thanks for the look.

Bob

cosmicmechanic

Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:44 pm

Yes Rick, by all means splurge and invest in a pick!

Why doesn't RicksPick use his pick?
How many picks could RicksPick pick if a pick was Rick's to pick?

Nice going Rick, for me the real fun of this piece is the flatpicking based on the C chord. I mean REAL fun, go for it :)

Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic