MarkM learning Brain Damage guitar lesson

MarkM

Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:10 pm

Look Mom. No pick.....

Hi all. I finally got around to trying out a few fingerpicking songs. Here is one. I didn't anticipate singing as I need all the brain power to go towards my fingers. After watching I decided to make it less boring by adding the vocals afterward. I've still got a long ways to go but it's a start. Thanks for watching and as always please share with me your suggestions and comments.

MarkM

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

haoli25

Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:44 pm

Wow, Mark. How cool was that? Great job with both the playing and the singing. Thanks for posting your video.

Bill Image

RicksPick

Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:45 pm

Hi Mark

Brilliant! Long way to go???

Sweet is what it is

RicksPick

tovo

Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:45 pm

Hey Mark.

I used to so admire your strumming. Now I admire your strumming AND picking. Very good job on the picking. Are you using your thumb on the strum? That's certainly how it looked to me. Have you tried the 'invisible pick" method? Perhaps give that a whirl. Vocals were pretty cool as well.

Double thumbs up from this ogre mate.

buddy

Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:22 pm

Mark,

WOOOOHOOOO !!!! Way to go on this one. The playing and singing was great.

Bud

Lavallee

Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:27 pm

Good playing Mark, it is not easy to move from the individual fingers to the strumming. It is coming very well. Because of the microphone I cannot see if you are using your index, middle and ring on home position. I seem to view that you are using your thumb for the G string as well which would make me think that you use only index and middle.

No matter what fingers you use, it sounds great

Marc

dennisg

Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:28 pm

Terrific job, Mark. I loved hearing what you can do with your new Taylor.

MarkM

Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:14 pm

Thanks Everyone!!!

Bill - Thank you Bill!!

Rickspick - Thank you. Yeah I still have a ways to go. I don't know what to do without a pick. Thanks for the compliments.

Tony - Thanks Pal. Yeah I'm using my thumb as the pick. I went for the invisible pick method and didn't really like the sound that it was making. I'll have to practice that a bit more.

Bud - Thank you!!! Much appreciated!!!

Marc - Thanks and sorry about the mic getting in the way. I noticed that afterwards as well. Yes I was using the "home" position where my thumb was on the bass strings and my index, middle and ring were in their right places. At least most of the time I think :blink: :blink:

Dennis - Thanks. So you noticed I didn't have the big old dred on this one huh? I have to tell you this new guitar is making it fun to learn these new fingerpickings songs. I haven't picked up the dred in over a week. I'm really enjoying this guitar. More to come soon I hope.

MarkM

pbraun

Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:33 pm

Wow Mark another home run! Sounds excellent!
Pete

jayswett

Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:41 pm

I think that's the first student version of Brain Damage with vocals. Very nicely done, all around. You look like you've been doing that for a long time. The sound you get out of that microphone is so nice. I recently purchased a USB mic not unlike yours, but I haven't played around with it yet. Hopefully will get around to it soon.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic