MarkM learning Brain Damage guitar lesson

willem

Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:47 pm

Hi MaRk,time was on your side?,i'm glad for you that you add the picking to your fingers and you really let it sound good and nice,,that can't be your Taylor only..thanks

MarkM

Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:48 pm

Thanks for all the kind words and support all.

Pierre - Thank you. Clockwork? Hmm maybe a broken clock. I was pretty brain damaged yesterday after doing this. I've been humming it in my sleep.....

Tammy - Thanks. I was a bit surprised by the sound of this new guitar as well.

Chas - Thanks. Yeah I have to get that invisible pick thing going better. As for the mic position on this song I was going for more of the bass. I usually place it near the lower bout but in this case I moved it up just a a bit. Not quite over the sound hole though. I'd love to play a Cole Clark. Never seen one here in New England though.

Chris - Thank you very much. This new guitar is a 714ce limited from the Spring of 2009. The normal 714 has a cedar top with IRW. This one has a sitka top and Madagascar back and sides. I like it!!! I still have the DN8 that I'll use for heaver strumming and Neil Young type of stuff though. That is alot of money for an 816. You could buy it for half the price in the US and have it shipped.

Jim - Thanks for the kind words!!!!

Al - :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Nice. Well I suck too much to have any titles in either style and I should never be confused with Jays Swiss like timing. Or yours for that matter. Seriously... thanks for the compliments. Fingerpicking took me a while to get my head/hands around. Each song does come a bit easier now though.

Juan - Thank you. I finally needed to try and play like the rest of you here.

BigBear - Thanks!! Yeah I knew I was watching myself on this song. Funny thing is when I'm having a "conversation" with my wife when she comes in I can play and look at her with some mistakes here and there. On this one I wanted to get it as right as I could and really just needed to verify where my picking fingers were. Still don't have the memory built in on that yet.

Willem - Thank you!! I think this particular guitar makes me play better. I had been trying to fingerpick for awhile now on the dred with the heavier guage strings and it was much more difficult. This one is like butter.

MarkM

mbleier

Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:18 pm

Mark,
You did a great job on this and I really appreciated the vocals being added in. I also love playing this one and I have never taken the time to figure out the vocals in with the picking. The two small things I noticed was you have a bit of a baseball grip on the neck of the guitar although it does not seem to affect the sound. The other thing was you come in a little late after the single strum on the A with the picking. It looked like you held it for the four count and then it took you a beat or two to get back to the D. A minor detail but I didn't know if you picked it up or not. It sounds great as a whole and the minor details always work themselves out with time. Thanks for posting.

Mike

rapsidy

Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:46 am

Hi Mark

im sure you said you added the vocals after! :)

well you could have at least acted like you were having trouble, looked like you were on top of it to me.

finger picking and singing is a different ball game isnt it, as well as singing and not playing is just as difficult to get the timing right. Theres nothing wrong with your voice it just a matter of hitting the right pith,tone,note? or whatever it is? thats the hard part, we need a neil of singing around here where you can post up your songs then they critique that and give us some direction or pointers that would just top this site off lol

anyway you did great again :angry: :) remember once you can do it without thinking post up the one with u singing and playing.

enjoyed man!

Brad

MarkM

Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:32 am

Mike - Thanks for the kind words. I agree that I need to work harder on the grip. My left hand position is atrocious. I'm afraid I'll be working that for a very long time.

Brad - Thank you. I have no idea how someone can figerpick and sing. I mean I see Neil and others doing it but thier brains must be wired different than mine. I'll work on this and maybe someday I'll be able to post it with the singing.

MarkM

willem

Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:21 am

Hi Mark,
It is all there. You have the finger picking working great. I am wondering about your pickless strumming, and if you have tried different ways to use the "invisible pick". I don't think how you use your thumb here matches or works as well the quality (accuracy) of how your a finger picking. I am curious about how you record and overdub for the video. It all sounds good, and true to the Pink Floyd recording.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic