cavi learning to play Irish Dance corrected acoustic guitar

tovo

Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:04 pm

Hey Cavi. Apart from enjoying uploads very much, I also use video posts as a teaching tool for myself. I always watch right through before I read anyone's comments. That way I test my ability to pick up tech points rather than just read what the better players have to say. I'm trying to improve my ability to offer useful advice without sounding like a jerk who thinks he knows it all...I sure don't and I know it!

Anyway....my initial impression was that the bass notes were too prominent, overpowering the melody. I then read Marc's comments saying you should put more emphasis on the melody. I was going to suggest less emphasis on the bass notes...but I guess the result will be pretty much the same. I just think a bit less emphasis on the bass notes would help the whole thing flow a little better. Don't get me wrong, it's good, I'm looking to how you might make it better.

Thanks for the look, I enjoyed it.

cavi

Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:27 pm

thanks for the comments, yes I also listen to the video many times before I even post it. As for the bass notes, as I said earlier, it did not sound like that live, I even asked my wife who was there, and for some reason the video camera picked up way more on the bass. this was the first time with this camera, my old one took a dump... I will have to compensate for it next time.

MarkM

Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:17 pm

Cavi,

Well done. I haven't tried this song but I did watch the lesson. I thought you really got the spirit of the song in this performance. Once the camera balences the audio out a bit more I'm sure this will sound even better. Thanks for sharing.

MarkM

cavi

Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:14 pm

Fantastic news, I solved the audio problem, the pickup was only covering the top 3 strings under the saddle. All repaired!!!!

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:04 pm

Bear touched on the point of staccato, I would add that these parts are played back at the bridge not over the sound-hole this will give you that 'attack' mentioned. Its coming along nicely though.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic