RicksPick learning to play The Sounds of Silence acoustic guitar

RicksPick

Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:46 am

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Hi Me again :)

Quick one here, just the intro picking part, not learnt the strumming part properly yet, as you can see. Recorded whilst sat in the evening, ocasionally distracted by the evil eye in the corner of the room, it drags you in. Any thoughts so far ??

RicksPick

dennisg

Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:44 am

Very nice, Rick. Hearing that makes me want to learn that beautiful old song. I'm hearing several instances of deadened strings, which probably means your left-hand position could be improved -- but that'll come with practice on the song. All in all, though, you're off to a very good start.

jayswett

Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:21 am

That may be one of the more technically challenging songs that you have posted, and it sounded very good. You looked very comfortable, unaffected, it seemed to me, by the camera. If I were you, I'd focus on that song for a while, as I think you could easily turn that into one of your best songs.

juanlla

Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:21 am

Rick,
Nice start with this one. The finger picking part is almost there !!!

Juan

cavi

Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:36 am

I would definitely suggest sitting upright in a chair or stool, it will just make it easier to get it right, but it is sounding good.

BigBear

Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:42 am

Rick- nice job! It's coming along really well. You've got the patterns down now just work on becoming smoother. A couple of ideas:

1. Don't watch your right hand, just feel the song. I think I've discovered that watching my right hand seems to really crush my fluidity.

2. Anticipate the pattern changes. This means you will need to start the pattern change just slightly earlier. Remember that a picking pattern isn't a block a notes that get played en masse but rather a continuous series of notes that all flow together with no breaks.

Paul Simon makes it look so simple but we all know S&G songs are pretty challenging. Maybe that's why they sound so beautiful. Great guitarists make it look deceptively easy!

Keep going Rick, you are doing great! Are you going to sing the next version? lol!

Thanks for you video! :cheer:

neverfoundthetime

Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:32 pm

Nice job Rick! You've got the difficult bid down nicely. The strumming is quite easy so you are very near completion on this song already... how about reposting it complete with vocals soon?

RicksPick

Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:50 pm

Many thanks guys

THanks Dennis sat on the couch doesnt help and more prctice is indeed needed
Thanks Jay I left the camera running whilst practicing so thats less pressure
Thank you Juan
Good advice thanks Cavi
Rick thanks will work on them
But you and Chris shouldnt tease,You know that my singing can scare even Bears :ohmy:

I will work hard on this to become smooth

RicksPick

Chasplaya

Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:57 pm

BigBear wrote:
Rick- nice job! It's coming along really well. You've got the patterns down now just work on becoming smoother. A couple of ideas:

1. Don't watch your right hand, just feel the song. I think I've discovered that watching my right hand seems to really crush my fluidity.
Don't watch the Claw!!!

Good advice and its something I practice a lot even when first starting a new song, difficult to do but again one of those things that pays off in the long run. Certainly got the patterns down, just practice from here on in.

Well done mate.

Lavallee

Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:07 pm

That is a very good start on this nice song, you got some good comments above. Finger picking seems easy for you and you look quite relax. As suggested by Cavi, sitting straigth will help with the muted strings.

Cheers

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic