webostick learning to play Dear Prudence (take 3) acoustic guitar

RicksPick

Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:28 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

ncsurfer

Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:43 pm

I think I have made some improvement in keeping the alternating thumb and Travis style picking going. Singing and remembering the lyrics is still problematic.

I took a closer look at the tabs and went back to the recording on the White Album. I had to change the first two chord shapes at the 14th and 12th fret. I was using an open D shape. That always sounded correct to me, but now that I play it the way Neil has it in the tabs it sounds more true to how it should be. Don't doubt the teacher.

Lavallee

Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:54 pm

Hi Wally it sounds really good, you are almost there. Good strategy not to emphasize on the voice right away, but still practicing it. The rhythm is good and the finger picking is quite fluid. The D chord with the bass run down seems to need some work. It is perfect sometimes but other times it sounds like if that bass gets muted as if the index was a bit late to the after the thumb hit the string. But it is in line with the learning process that Neil was describing as to not wait for the chord to land so that the rhythm is not broken.

The rendering was quite enjoyable

Marc

willem

Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:34 pm

Hi Wally,your busy he,,nice to see you in your man cave working on this song,,and i find you are great on the way,,ones i go back on this song,,

Ps when i hear travis picking i alway's hear a train....lol

AcousticAl

Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:19 pm

Coming along well, Wally.

This looks like a tough song to sing and pick at the same time. You seem to do a similar thing to me- where my singing gets a little stilted and locked to the timing of my picking. It's quite hard to let your singing flow past certain notes and measures. I think the more you play it, the smoother your singing and phrasing will get.

BobR

Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:23 pm

Wally,

Sounds like this is a good take and it's coming along fine. I'm sure you'll get it the way you want in no time.

Bob

tovo

Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:56 pm

Hi Wally. I agree with the general vibe of what others have said, it's coming along well and you are on your way with it. Now it's just playing it a million more times so that you can sing it with confidence. Very much agree with Marc that it's a good strategy to sing it as you practice even in a relatively low voice as the coordination needed will develop along with your fluidity with playing the tune. Good stuff.

MarkM

Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:00 pm

Wally,

Well done. This song is getting better and better for you. Nice tempo and clear notes. As others have said, I'm sure all you need is just more practice. A few more run throughs and you'll be right where you want to be. I'm thinking of giving this one a go soon since I've been watching your progress. Thanks and keep them coming.

MarkM

neverfoundthetime

Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:48 am

Good job Wally, that is advancing really well. Once your picking is almost sub-conscious, the phrasing of the singing will become easier.

schm040

Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:36 am

Thanks to everyone for their advise and help.

Lavallee wrote:
The D chord with the bass run down seems to need some work. It is perfect sometimes but other times it sounds like if that bass gets muted as if the index was a bit late to the after the thumb hit the string.
Marc
Thanks Marc. Yes, I see that I don't always keep the 5-4-6-4 pattern going. I am not always striking the 6th string. Probably need to slow it down, and keep making the brain to finger connection unconscious.

willem wrote:
Ps when i hear travis picking i alway's hear a train....lol
Thanks Willem. I keep practicing. The fingers sometimes resist learning new things.

AcousticAl wrote:
I think the more you play it, the smoother your singing and phrasing will get.
Thanks Al. I sure hope so. Speaking as Yoda, "A singer I am not." Or not yet.

BobR wrote:
you'll get it the way you want in no time.

Bob
Thanks for the encouragement Bob. Time will tell won't it?

tovo wrote:
Now it's just playing it a million more times so that you can sing it with confidence. Very much agree with Marc that it's a good strategy to sing it as you practice even in a relatively low voice as the coordination needed will develop along with your fluidity with playing the tune.
Thanks Tony. I think I am up to a count of about 97 times playing it through. Only 999,903 times more to go!

MarkM wrote:
Nice tempo and clear notes. As others have said, I'm sure all you need is just more practice. A few more run throughs and you'll be right where you want to be. I'm thinking of giving this one a go soon ...
Thanks Mark. I am getting a lot of satisfaction in finally learning all these old "chesnuts". I'll keep on practicing.

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Once your picking is almost sub-conscious, the phrasing of the singing will become easier.
Thanks Chris. I am trying to reach the sub-conscious. Easier is the unconscious state.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic