BobR learning to play Pirate Looks at 40 acoustic guitar

BobR

Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:14 pm

Well I haven't posted in a while. And I haven't done finger picking much or sing and play at the same time so I thought this might be do able because pretty basic chords. I notice a bit of buzzing and I don't always hit the correct bass note but it's a start.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

buddy

Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:01 pm

Bob,

I have not heard that song before. You did such a nice job on it that I will need to look it up. Very nice finger picking and relaxed singing, your sound set-up sounds good to.

Bud

tovo

Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:11 pm

Hey Bob. This is a little bizarre for me mate, I can hear the picking loud and clear but I can't hear you sing, I can just see your lips moving. I have no idea why, Al can probably explain it to me! But anyway, the guitar sounds great mate. What model is that bad boy? A 714?

I liked that you looked very relaxed and just shrugged off the minor bum notes with a smile. I would have liked to hear your voice but I still enjoyed it very much. Thanks for the look.

willem

Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:55 am

Bob,,i'm not gonna say great j..,but it is,i realy enjoyed this show,,Bob nice guitar and nice singin,i believe you came out the closet with that and that is what we all want,playing and singin,because how do we get the crowd with us..

Lavallee

Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:15 am

Hi Bob, nice smooth song. Good to see a video from you again, it has been a while. Your finger picking is quite relax and your singing comes out really nice. I just wonder if you are trying to brush the string with your index.

I can see your right hand having a fair amount of movement instead of just your fingers moving and I am not sure if you are brushing the string intentionally or you were trying to have more volume on the strings. Sounds nice the way you are doing it but I am curious to know if you intend to hit the note with your index cleanly or if brushing was the intent.

Marc

RicksPick

Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:48 am

Way to go Bob

Congrats on singing and playing
It came out well
So many things to concentrate on
Like cleanly holding cords, like that G
I sometimes get the same buzz,even though I dont sing.
Well done

RicksPick

pbraun

Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:09 am

Bob, I seem to have the same problem as Tony, can't hear the singing? But the picking sounds good!
I'll try again tonight to see if I did something wrong.
Pete

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:54 am

Hi Bob, you are coming through loud and clear and doing a great job there on singing and picking. Well done! I'm pretty much an anti Jack Johnson fan but that sounded all good to me and I enjoyed it. I can see you are used to using a pick as your hand is moving almost as if you are using one as you finger-pick. Your hand sort of dances up and down the strings a little and I reckon if you try to leave your hand more or less still and just use the fingers and thumb without the up and down movement of the hand, you'll find your picking start to flow. I will admit, this is the very first time I've offered any technical advice to anyone here and it may be inaccurate or superfluous so just ignore if it doesn't ring a bell with you.

tovo

Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:30 am

Hey Bob. Just wanted to come back and say that I tried again once I got home and all good, the singing came through. Who knows eh? Anyway, sounded good. I thought you did a good job of it and kudos for stepping up to the plate and singing.

BobR

Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:49 am

Thanks everyone so much for taking the time to watch.

Bud - Yeah I never heard of this song until Neil did the Jimmy Buffet series and I liked it.

Tony - I am glad you got to hear the singing(I think :laugh: ) I meant to tell you it's a Breedlove Atlas Stage D25/SR. I just got it about a month ago after seeing D-Dogs trip to Breedlove.

Willem - Thanks for the kind words.

Marc - This is one of my first attempts at fingerpicking and unforunately I am missing the tip of my index finger so I have no nail so it might sound like I am brushing but that wasn't my intent.

Rick - Yes, a lot to concentrate on, that's one reason I tried to pick(No pun intended) a pretty easy chord progression.

Pete - Yeah, Tony said he tried again at home and it came out OK. Hope you get to hear it.

Chris - Thanks for your inputs even though you're not a Jack Johnson fan. Maybe I should of said it was the Jimmy Buffet version :laugh:

Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic