BobR learning to play Pirate Looks at 40 acoustic guitar

MarkM

Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:44 pm

Bob,

Great job!!! I love this song. Can't tell you have many times I've had a few cocktails in my hands out at Great Woods with my friends listening to Jimmy play this song. You played it very well. Geez and you sang at the same time with all those fingers moving around. If that was your first time fingerpicking then you've completely blown me away. Big kudos from me. My only suggestion is try playing it a bit slower. I'm not familiar with Jack Johnson's version but Jimmy's is slower. That might help with getting that finger down on the bass strings. Thanks for sharing!! Oh and nice guitar there. The sound came through great.

MarkM

Last thing. The vocals came through on my left speaker only. Maybe that is why some folks had some issues. Not sure.

Yamaha48

Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:48 pm

Hello BobR.

This is fore me the first time,to see you singing on the video s.
Realy nice done my friend.
What a shame that i can not the song,but it sounds lovely.
Hope to see more vid from this caliber.

Thumbs up fore you,greetz Anton

wrench

Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:38 pm

Bob, you ventured into so much new territory, I don't know where to to begin. So I'll just say I am very impressed and very entertained. Fantastic job, sir!

I am curious about your tech, though......
is the mic stand on a carpeted floor?
did you use any equalization?
what kind of mixer did you use to get the stereo soundtrack?

Great job, Bob. I can't wait to hear more.

BobR

Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:47 pm

Thank you all for looking.

Mark - I have tried finger picking before but I never seemed to get it. Obviously a lot more to go but I figured I'd give it a try on some basic chords. I'll try slowing it down a bit. Yeah I noticed the vocals only the left side too. Not sure what I did. I'd still like to get together sometime so just let me know when you might be around.

Anton - Great to hear from you. I hadn't heard this song either before TG.

Wrench - I am glad you enjoyed it. As far as the tech goes The mic stand is on my kitchen floor not carpet. I got a M-Audio Firewire Solo Audio Interface off Craiglist a while ago. It has 2 inputs, one for the mic, and one for the guitar. But to be honest, I am not sure how I had it set up because I was using my laptop webcam/mic for the video and I must of had the mic setup to listen to the interface. I need to figure it out.

Bob

wrench

Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:05 pm

Thanks for the tech info Bob. Your recording was very high quality. So was your performance.

haoli25

Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:32 pm

Excellent job, Bob. I really enjoyed your performance. Thanks for posting your video.

Bill Image

Yamaha48

Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:36 pm

Hello Bob.

Can you tell me the chord progression, G.C..
Its a 4 chord song??.

Greetz Anton

jayswett

Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:40 pm

Well done. I could hear the singing much better than the guitar, and what I could hear was very nice. Economy of motion of your right hand might be something to watch as you continue to practice that song, but otherwise a very solid performance. I've worked on a couple of Buffett tunes but haven't polished them well enough to post. I was glad to see you post something, though, as it has been a while since your last.

AcousticAl

Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:01 pm

Hey Bob!

I hadn't heard the song before, but it's now on my list.
Your audio quality sounded great as well.

BTW- loved the 'Oh well' at the end.. Too funny!

BigBear

Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:39 am

Geez, Bob, that was just terrific! You sounded like a pro! Seriously, you could play that tune at any coffee shop or open mic and get a huge positive response.

You raised the bar on that one buddy! The only minor nit I saw was your right hand got a little wild at times and moves away from the strings but you kept the tempo.

And your singing was wonderful too! Plus you audio setup sounded wonderful with the guitar and mic!

Overall, a terrific performance! I can't wait for the next one! Thanks for sharing! :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic