webostick learning Norwegian Wood v1 guitar lesson

gzing2

Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:31 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

tom18

Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:40 pm

This is another song that I never really played correctly for years. The way Neil prefers the Dm fingering with the pinky on 2nd string is still not a natural shift for me and it usually puts a little hiccup in my chord change and strum. I am also learning how to do the pull offs -- and not always getting that right. But I am satisfied that I think I got most of it more or less right.

MarkM

Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:28 pm

Wally V1 is pretty good!!!! You're hitting all the right notes. My only advice is to slow it down a bit. I have the same problem from time to time when learning a song. This song needs to slow about a 1/4 to a 1/3rd to my ear. There was a section coming out of the Dm when you hit the G Chord. You then go to a C and small F before going back to the Dm chord. The first time was around the 19 sec mark. You did this every time throughout so you must have wanted it there. I'll have to check the lesson again but I believe it is played Dm, G, Dm, Em7, A then back to the D progression. My apologies if you were throwing these in as embellishments. Great job for a first take. I hope to see more on this soon.

MarkM

BobR

Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:30 pm

Hi Wally,

Sounding good. I think a bit fast though. And I have not seen it done When going from the Dm to G then you do something before going back to the Dm Em7 A

Anyway sounds good

Bob

tovo

Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:42 pm

Hey Wally. This one was my nemesis for more than a year, certainly not a easy as it first appears I think. As already pointed out, quite a bit too fast. Your embellishment on the strumming chords sounds fine and I assume it is deliberate. I don't think it's an issue at all. Just more work on slowing the tempo and hitting clean notes. Good upload thanks for the look.

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:02 pm

Wally main points have been made so good job on v1, looking forward to v2.

cheers and thanks

Chas

willem

Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:55 am

Hey Wally,,great to see you again and a other song,,like others said,,slow it down a litlle(on the strummings),,and the Dm section,,well i strum only Dm-G-Em7-A..then on the
D seCtion again,,maybe you can explain why you do a sort of F and C chord there,,

EDIT; I listen again a view times and i think just do do strums has you did

EDIT; Maybe capo'd up at the second??

rapsidy

Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:39 am

Hi Wally

as tony said this song isnt as easy as it looks, although you dont seem to be having any trouble with it, only probably the speed as people r suggesting but at least that not something you have work on ya just play it slower :P

next is to throw in the vocals look forward to that

great job!!!

neverfoundthetime

Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:55 am

Wally, good job on NW. Slow it down as suggested and it will sound even better. Keep the videos coming!

BigBear

Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:00 pm

Wally- this song is very near and dear to my heart having worked with Tony and doing a collaboration with Jerry on it.

You did a very solid job but I agree with Mark and others- slow down!! You are playing at an almost frantic pace! This song has a rolling, bouncy feel that requires extra emphasis on the first note of each measure.

I might add that you should work hard on getting your left thumb behind the neck and not on top of it. Neil has several lessons on this bad habit that we've all had to break! Your turn! lol! Seriously, I had the exact problem you are having until I improved my hand position and it just went away! It's always the simplest things that have the greatest impact.

If you rotate your wrist down a little and form a gap under the neck and your palm you will not get all those clanker, dead notes. This is really important when picking out melody notes with your pinky!

I really liked your alternate chording on the chorus but at the speed you are playing it's getting the better of you and causing several missed chords. It would be better at this point to forget the embellishment and just focus on the Dm-G-Dm-Em7-Am7 standard version (as I recall from my desk).

I think it's critical that accuracy always wins out over speed. You can play this song dead slow while getting the melody perfect before you increase the tempo.

I can't wait for the next version and thanks for sharing this video with us!

Cheers! :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic