AndyT Southern Cross guitar lesson review upload

Lavallee

Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:20 pm

Good work Andy, nice to see another video from you. Glad you are sticking around.

Marc

jayswett

Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:03 pm

Beautiful song. The only thought I had was that it seemed like there might have been a couple of times when your strumming should have been an up rather than a down or vice versa. It was hard to tell given the sound. I saw from your original post that you intentionally delay from time to time, but even taking that into account, it seemed to my eye that there might have been an up/down mixup or two.

AndyT

Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:12 am

Jim,
Yeah, the method I used to record was not my first choice, but it was what I had at the time. I used my phone. My wife was not familiar with it and accidentally covered the mic for part of it. I have a decent mic, now I just need a place to plug it in.

Anton,
Thanks! it is a really fun song to play. Glad you like it.

Al,
Ummm.... I think you are correct. This was my second song video. My wife and I thank you for your consideration.

Dennis,
I have already chosen a new mixer, and with the amp you sent me, I should be able to get some really nice recordings. Now I just need to actually go get the mixer. LOL

MJ,
The Bm is on my music, I just don't play it. When I started on this song, I couldn't play it so I just never added it in. Maybe I'll have to fix that. The fills are made up as I play so its not likely I'll be transcribing them anytime soon. LOL

Chris,
I'll make you a deal. You bring Ale to sing and Al can come handle the techie side. We can all sit and jam and make some great music!

Mark,
Thanks! Good that you saw I use my leg as the metronome. Most people think I have a nervous condition! LOL

Chas,
Braddah, if I neva make betta from da las one, den mo betta quit! LOL I SO hope I've improved since the first one I posted! LOL I was having a hard time even strumming on that one! LOL

Tony,
Yep, its all about improvement. And the only tragic thing about TG is that we can't spend all our time here! LOL

Rick,
You know.... LMBO! I capo many songs to make them easier to sing but I never tried it with this one. I'll have to give it a shot!

Bob,
The chords are pretty simple, its the timing on the strumming that makes this one more difficult. There are spots where the strumming stops (usually after the A chord) and there are the riffs which are easy but have strange timing. You can do it.

Marc,
I'm glad I'm sticking around also! LOL Hopefully, I'll be able to post a few more in fairly short order.

Jay,
Good eye. You are correct. I still have a bit of timing issue with this one and that is the result of it. But each time I play it, it gets better and smoother so soon I won't be changing on the ups.

Everyone,
Thanks so much for your comments. Its been about a year since I posted a vid and I was wondering if I would ever get another one up. I posted this one with all its problems because I wanted to get something up to show that I actually do play a guitar on occasion! LOL

willem

Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:29 am

Now that you have come over the border we expect many uploads,but take your time..

michelew

Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:40 pm

It's great to see another video from you Andy. This looks like a well progressed song. I suspect that Neil might say keep your strumming hand going regardless of whether you're hitting the strings so that you don't lose track of whether it should be an up or a down at any particular point. But other than that you seem to have this song in the bag.

Post it again once you've had the sound engineer in.

Nice job.

Michele

BTW - that looks like an Aussie hat, did you get it from a digger? And are those echidna spikes around the band? If not it looks very familiar.

AndyT

Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:11 pm

Michelle,
Thanks. I agree that I should keep my hand going. I'm still not sure why I don't. LOL

The hat was hand made for me in Michigan. My wife got it for me. The decoration on it is an American Indian peace necklace which is made of bone, silver and soft turquoise. A friend made it for me. I also have an American flag and a pair of hands holding a dove which represents the Holy Spirit pinned to it.

I've had so many comments on my hat over the years. It's almost become my trademark. LOL Give me a few minutes and I'll post a pic of it.

Maybe I should write a song about it....

Music Junkie

Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:52 pm

AndyT wrote:
Michelle,
Thanks. I agree that I should keep my hand going. I'm still not sure why I don't. LOL

The hat was hand made for me in Michigan. My wife got it for me. The decoration on it is an American Indian peace necklace which is made of bone, silver and soft turquoise. A friend made it for me. I also have an American flag and a pair of hands holding a dove which represents the Holy Spirit pinned to it.

I've had so many comments on my hat over the years. It's almost become my trademark. LOL Give me a few minutes and I'll post a pic of it.

Maybe I should write a song about it....

Andy:

Hearing you describe your hat, with the pins and built-ins made me think of this song. I know yours is not a cowboy hat, but I am sure that it is VERY important to you. This song is from one of my favorite country artists named Chris LeDoux (an actual cowboy who happened to sing - very simple guy with a great sense of humor and a great sense of nation). If you hate country, I apologize in advance for tainting your post.... :P

J

AndyT

Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:19 am

Jason,
Cool song. Thanks for sharing it. Now I'm going to have to learn it. LOL I think this was a Porter Wagoner song. I grew up on country so no problem there. I also have a leather jacket that means quite a bit. LMBO! I guess I fit both sides of this song!

neverfoundthetime

Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:01 pm

Hi Andy,
This is a good Stephen Stills song, and I think I remember it having a really strong 12-string guitar sound in the recording. I think you are getting the essential feel of the strumming and rhythm of the song. Yeah, if you can find a few friends to sing some tight three or four part harmony on the chorus would be fun. :lol:

I think you'll work out the technical recording problems the next time around.

Please share more of what you are working on and playing. Watching all the things that others have done on Target uploads has given me license to stretch out and try some new things musically (like singing in my case).

Wally

Music Junkie

Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:46 pm

AndyT wrote:
Jason,
Cool song. Thanks for sharing it. Now I'm going to have to learn it. LOL I think this was a Porter Wagoner song. I grew up on country so no problem there. I also have a leather jacket that means quite a bit. LMBO! I guess I fit both sides of this song!
I'll have to check into the Porter Wagoner lead. Was not aware of that. Overall, it seems lie it is simple enough. Some arpeggios on simple chords. I grew up on country and soft rock.......what a mixture....lol Glad you enjoyed the song.

J

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic