tovo learning the Main Solo for Layla guitar lesson

Chasplaya

Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:12 pm

tovo wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
What Tony didn't point out was that it came to a penalty shoot out after a 2 all draw after extra time had been played. So not exactly a butt kicking...
No prizes for second. Or "sicind" as the Kiwis say.

Brad: Thanks for the encouragement mate. When was fair ever important when it comes to New Zealand??

Bob: Appreciate that mate. Thanks.
LATEST UPDATE!!

New Zealand's Silver now GOLDEN Ferns kick Aussie butt in Netball final.

Congratulations on coming second Aussie

Chasplaya

Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:20 pm

For those that suggest alternate pick direction I.e. Up and down; I suggest you watch Eric Clapton's original Unplugged video closely, in the entire solo there is one (maybe two) up strokes it is all downs

tovo

Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:35 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
For those that suggest alternate pick direction I.e. Up and down; I suggest you watch Eric Clapton's original Unplugged video closely, in the entire solo there is one (maybe two) up strokes it is all downs
That's my understanding as well. I know there's an alternate pick in the main riff, but doesn't appear to be in the solos.

jayswett

Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:08 am

Good to see you are stepping into a new phase of your guitar playing. That is, playing solos. I haven't had the courage to do that yet.

willem

Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:10 am

Hey Tony,,its not that i want to bump this,,well,mmm,but i saw the tg life session now and i understand it more(triplets) the midlle note of the triplet is a pulloff??

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:34 pm

willem wrote:
Hey Tony,,its not that i want to bump this,,well,mmm,but i saw the tg life session now and i understand it more(triplets) the midlle note of the triplet is a pulloff??
I think this oversimplified triplets, they can be pull off's but not necessarily, its all about alternative modern term for irrational rhythm , which in itself is a misnomer as triplets (tuplets is the generic term for all -plets i.e. quadru-plet, quintu-plet, sextu-plet, etc. and these are actually rational fractions. Confused yet?
Simply put its squeezing extra notes into the time of the standard notes we are commonly used to. And yes often these are accomplishd with hammer ons and pull off's , but not always.

tovo

Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Chasplaya wrote:

Simply put its squeezing extra notes into the time of the standard notes we are commonly used to. And yes often these are accomplished with hammer ons and pull off's , but not always.
Thanks Chas.
After a fair bit of research into the subject that's a good definition I think. I have come to the conclusion that playing these solos is a 3 stage process:

1. Learn the progression
2. There are sections to this solo in the form of riffs. I need to get the timing for each section right and then ensure they flow seamlessly from one to the next.
3. Play it with feel and passion.

I have got step 1 down. I know the progression for the tune including the 2 solos. 2 and 3 will be a much longer journey. Nobody said it was easy.

d_dog

Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:28 am

Hey Tovo, the fact that you never back down from a challenging song is a win in my book.
I would suggest that you consider getting a piece of software that is available that will slow down songs and not affect the pitch. This is an invaluable tool for learning solos and any song that you need to practice slowly. It gives you the chance to keep up with the song (at a slower tempo) and work on getting the "feeling" of the song down. You're right in saying that you have the technical knowledge to play the notes, but now you need to forget all that and "feel" the song. Take small pieces at a time, maybe 1 or 2 measures is all, and just play those over and over until you get the feeling down. I even find myself air guitaring the solo's while listening, just to get the feeling and timing down, it's really useful. Looks crazy, but useful. Put on headphone, close you're eyes, act like your holding the guitar and just go through the fingering motion, it really help to get you in the mode. The slow down software is really helpful. I use a Mac program called Capo, as suggested by Dennisg, fantastic program, perhaps others can suggest a PC version.
Great stuff man, really love your posts!

tovo

Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:43 am

Hey Dog,

You are sure doing some catching up today! I agree with much of what you wrote. I understand that soloing is a challenge and something I am keen on but a long way from competent with. That's cool, i will keep working at it and it will improve. I will work on small sections as you suggest, which is what I did when I learned the progression. I now know the progression, I have to get the feel. A long term project for sure. Thanks for the good tips on software etc.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic