tovo learning the Main Solo for Layla guitar lesson

michelew

Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:55 pm

Tony,

Good job on the progress you've made to date. I suggest you use a program like ASD (the Amazing Slow Downer). That way you can slow it down to where you can comfortably start to make it fluid and get the blues feel down at the same time. Eric can be your teacher.

I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing the final result.

Good luck (I won't say I'm rooting for you... you know why).

Talk to you soon mate.

Michele

suziko

Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:04 pm

I can't offer any technical advice, but I admire you for taking on this solo. Consider that, in itself, a huge acheivement. It's WAY beyond my abilities at the moment!

Suzi

tovo

Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:57 pm

Thanks for those further comments, no more "group" replies for me, I feel it isn't adequate acknowledgment of each person who has bothered to write a few words. I have a thing with it..I can't help it! lol

So, going back to do it properly:

Chris: yeah I get you. It's all about the right emphasis and flow.

Den: Can a metronome be set to count triplets?? I have no idea. I'll need to research I guess. Thanks for taking the time.

Marc: Not certain on the ups and downs for this, There is certainly some alternating in the main riff, but I'm not sure about the solo. Need Neil to address that, with luck he may review this at some point. Having said that, perhaps you are exactly right, I honestly don't know.

Bear: Yep. I absolutely understand that the timing and emphasis, and bends and hammer-ons aren't right yet. I didn't phrase my question very well at all. I will now concentrate on trying to get down the nuances that as you say, give it that Blues feel. Thanks mate, appreciated as always.

Wally, good point on the bends. I understand it. No doubt some of the bends aren't correct yet. Many of them are sort of "half" bends, little tweeks rather than bending the full note.

Chas: I need more work on understanding triplets eh! You gave some really specific advice, I'll work through it and see what I can do. Thanks muchly. "Claptonesque".....nice word! By the way....our hockey girls kicked your hockey girls butts....so what if we can't win a rugby test!

Willem: Thanks for your response. Yep, it's all in the triplets me thinks!

Shel: I guess there would be several reasons you refuse to root for me...but I'm not offended. We just met! (Good advice on slowing down).

Suzi: Support is every bit as important to me as tech advice. I appreciate them both equally. Thanks to you.

rapsidy

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:48 pm

Hi Tony

just to say i watched :P and enjoy watching your journey it seems your enjoying a good growth spurt at the moment B)

no doubt this will be sounding very passable soon.

nice hockey dig :laugh: it was a good game from both sides to be fair lol

Brad

BobR

Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:20 pm

Hi Tony,

Just wanted to say I watched this and to keep up your good work and practice.

Bob

Chasplaya

Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:32 pm

rapsidy wrote:
Hi Tony

just to say i watched :P and enjoy watching your journey it seems your enjoying a good growth spurt at the moment B)

no doubt this will be sounding very passable soon.

nice hockey dig :laugh: it was a good game from both sides to be fair lol

Brad
What Tony didn't point out was that it came to a penalty shoot out after a 2 all draw after extra time had been played. So not exactly a butt kicking...

tovo

Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:45 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
What Tony didn't point out was that it came to a penalty shoot out after a 2 all draw after extra time had been played. So not exactly a butt kicking...
No prizes for second. Or "sicind" as the Kiwis say.

Brad: Thanks for the encouragement mate. When was fair ever important when it comes to New Zealand??

Bob: Appreciate that mate. Thanks.

MarkM

Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:28 am

Tony,

Just got back from a trip and finally have time to watch this. Much has been said allready so I'll keep it short. Way to stick yourself out there on this. I found that I really couldn't answer your main question on timing. Yeah it looked and sounded good by itself. I know you probably practice with the song playing in the background. Have you considered recording yourself playing the rhythm and then playing the solo over that? I think your solo would become more organic that way. If that makes sense. As a viewer I would benefit from hearing the solo in the song and be able to discuss the timing/tempo. Regardless I thought technically the solo was very good. Others mentioned the up/down which I know you'll be working one. Keep sending out updates. You're doing a great job.

MarkM

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:26 am

I have to agree with you on the individual acknowledgements Tony. I think its good form and each individual feels he's been heard which then makes taking the time to make the comment seem worthwhile and the connection between poster and responder is more personal and deeper.

Just dropped by again to say how much I love it when Aussies and Kiwis start ribbing each other about their respective accents and prowess in sport. :-)

tovo

Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:56 pm

Thanks Mark. I've got a very good backing track that I've just started to use. I put this up purely to see where I am at and as suspected I am about 1/8th of the way there! This is absolutely a long term project for me and I won't be posting version after version. Maybe another in 12 months or so. Thanks mate as always for the encouragement.

Chris, cheers. I suspect payback is just around the corner!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic