Lavallee learning Stairway to Heaven guitar lesson

neverfoundthetime

Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:47 am

You rock Marc! How are you recording? Sound was good.

Lavallee

Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:04 am

Bear: Thanks for your comments, I tried to learn the solo, but it is too fast for me. I do not really practice scales, well not enough. Without knowing the scales inside out I doubt that the solo is playable. The fastest solo I can do is wish you were here.

Rick: Thanks, good to be back home every now and then. I normally play every day, because I was away for so long, I am doing extra time now.

Tony: Thank you , I did practice the song a lot because I tried to work on not muting the strings with that short bar : there is always one of the first 2 chords that the fingers have a bit of an angle and mute the string below. I have practice this aspect so many times and it still happens too often that the strings gets muted. Also I started recently to use on the fourth chord ( D/F#) Neil`s technique of not landing all the fingers at once. I was having some difficulties with that chord to have the base to sound clean especially in the quick picking of the bridge where the base line is emphasized. So now I put the base first pretty much at the same time as the bar and then the C# of the D chord is put last.

Wally: thank you for your comments. I watched the movie with my sons couple years ago and we had a good laugh at the sign in the store.

Buddy, thank you. The bee noise was from guitar pro. I had my keyboard on the floor and I had highlighted the solo section. So when I would hit the space bar the solo would start at the end of the strumming bridge. At the last minute, I increase the sound of the guitar and forgot to increase the solo part which as you said make it sound like a bee swarm because it was too low.

Actually Daryl (ffsooo3) sent me a backing track that I will use to practice the song. everything is there, but the guitar.

Chas: Thanks for your comments, I actually can sing like Robert plant, the problem is that when I want to start the camera, I have to wake up

Hi Al, thanks, if you are interested, I have a Guitar pro sheet that I have modify to do the end part (I mixed 2 sections together). I did not think anybody would noticed, but yes it was on purpose to pick closer the bridge to simulate the 6 string electric guitar and the strumming over the hole to make it sound a little different to simulate the 12 string strumming.

Willem: Dank u, it is a nice song and everybody knows it.

Jay; Thank you, I really like those Led Zeppelin songs. I am already practicing (with all the others Target songs)Friends which looks simple because of the constant strumming but I find it very challenging to keep that rhythm because the chord changes are rarely at the same place in the bar. It is is in C tuning also, so different sound.

Chris: Thank you for your good comments. No so long ago I was complaining about my camera not picking up the sound properly and was exchanging ideas with Dennis. I realized while explaining the setup that the amplifier that I connect the guitar to, was always behind me and that the camera company advertise directional microphones (Zoom Q3 camera). In the discussion with Dennis, I said that I would try to move the amplifier so that it would be pointing directly at the camera. I also feel that it improved the sound. It is not as good as being connected directly to the PC, the micro BR that Al has or a microphone pointing at the guitar like many of you are doing, but it is more acceptable than before

michelew

Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:49 pm

That definitely rocked Marc. You're ready to take this on the road. Just give Robert Plant a ring.

Lavallee

Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:26 pm

Thanks Michele. I can go on the road and play for the telephone posts , not sure about Plant yet.

Marc

tombo1230

Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:39 pm

Thanks for sharing. I think this should go on my ever growing to do list. Nice job.

jcrocket

Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:02 am

Marc -

Well done. Your fingerpicking really enhances the song.

Jeff

Lavallee

Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:23 am

Hi Tombo, thank you for the comments. STH is a real classic that is always fun to work on.

Thank you Jeff, the fingerpicking on the song is more challenging than it looks because of the small bar, it is easy to mute strings. It is a constant battle for me. My thumb is below the center line of the fret board and I still find it difficult to make it consistent.

Marc

suziko

Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:19 am

Marc, that was really great and very inspiring. It's funny how everyone jokes about StH being one of the first things guitarists learn to play, because it is clearly NOT an easy piece, at least not to play correctly! I never really realized how varied the guitar part is throughout: shifting between picking and strumming, the varied tempo on the picking, etc. It's quite complicated!

I really enjoyed this a lot. I hadn't really thought of StH as something I'd like to learn, but your video has changed my mind on that.

Suzi

beaker

Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:51 am

Marc, nice job with Stairway! Normally I would have found it tedious to sit through an entire performance of this song because, like most people I have heard it so many times, and also I play it myself. But, knowing that you are a major Zep Head, and knowing what you have posted in the past... EG Black Mountainside, Bron-y-your, I know that your version probably has had some thought put into it. I was right, You played the part that neil teaches very well, and then went on to complete the song, and did a great job of it. Way to Go! Maybe I will use your video to learn the ending too! Great job! Keep on strumming! Beaker.

MarkM

Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:48 am

Marc,

I thouroughly enjoyed that!!!! You can call all the hard work you put into this. Well done!!!

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic