jayswett learning Pancho and Lefty guitar lesson

neverfoundthetime

Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:41 am

Great song and video Jay! Not one I was familiar with before. As always your playing is rock solid and the singing good.... first time on song? ... not sure... anyway you are well ready for your open mic night so.....

Sound quality was good but I'd pump up the volume a lot. Now that you're well out of the closet on the singing, have a go at projecting your voice as if you were singing to someone 10 meters away across a crowded room. Your voice is good but maybe you didn't want to wake the wife upstairs? I used to sing like that all the time until I got my huge music room. Now I can go up there late at night and let it out with no fear of disturbing anyone and it's improved my singing no end.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:41 am

Great song and video Jay! Not one I was familiar with before. As always your playing is rock solid and the singing good.... first time on song? ... not sure... anyway you are well ready for your open mic night so.....

Sound quality was good but I'd pump up the volume a lot. Now that you're well out of the closet on the singing, have a go at projecting your voice as if you were singing to someone 10 meters away across a crowded room. Your voice is good but maybe you didn't want to wake the wife upstairs? I used to sing like that all the time until I got my huge music room. Now I can go up there late at night and let it out with no fear of disturbing anyone and it's improved my singing no end.

jim56

Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:58 am

Jay, that was an excellent performance. You've got that finger picking down. Vocals sound good btw which mic did you use for recording? Plugging into you PC? Software used for recording? Sorry for so many tech detail questions but you have got the formula for quality recording. Thanks for sharing your video. Jim

jayswett

Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:08 am

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to watch. I agree that the audio is too low and I need to figure out why that happened. When I created the "movie" with AVS, the audio level was fine, but after the upload, it was clearly too low. The microphone is an M-Audio USB mic (not sure of the model number) which I purchased on sale from a website called woot.com. MarkM has a similar mic, and D-dog had mentioned this particular deal on woot, and as I was familiar with the website, I took a look and bought it for sixty dollars. I also bought an M-audio USB 2 input interface which I have not yet taken the time to learn about. The singing bit was fun, and I was glad to post a video singing and playing at the same time. I'm finding that it's becoming easier for me with practice, as one might expect. Several of you mentioned that this song is not a familiar one. It is a Target song, and I wasn't familiar with it either until the lesson was posted several months ago. It's a fun alternating bass fingerpicking sort of thing.

Lavallee

Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:03 am

Hi Jay, that performance is flawless. The sound (to me anyway) was really good, your guitar sounds like we are in the same room and your confidence in singing seems to have skyrocket, you sing very well. Your playing is very smooth as you seem to have a great confidence in the alternate bass patterns.

Marc

wrench

Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:22 am

That was great, Jay. Please post your first open mic gig. Assuming it's in New England, I am there!

Low volume - before recording check your input levels with Audacity. If you need to increase it, adjust either the capture channel of the software mixer in your computer, or the output level on your mic interface. If it was OK before uploading, it is possible YouTube encoding normalized it.

Your progress never ceases to amaze me.

BigBear

Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:02 pm

Jay- just another fantastic video from you! Thoroughly enjoyed that. Outstanding, steady Travis picking and wonderful singing. You nailed that one buddy! I really like how calm and under control you play.

Put that one in your coffee house bag of tricks because I think anyone would enjoy that tune. I've been wanting to give it a try and now you have inspired me! Just what I need are more songs to learn! lol!

Thanks for sharing that terrific performance.

Cheers! :cheer:

BigBear

Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:15 pm

wrench wrote:
That was great, Jay. Please post your first open mic gig. Assuming it's in New England, I am there!

Your progress never ceases to amaze me.

You're one to talk!!! LOL! :laugh:

waggis

Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:41 pm

Great job Jay! I really enjoy listening to that song and you make it look so easy.

David

michelew

Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:19 pm

You're playing like a professional Jay. For me this was emphasized by the fact that you didn't miss a beat when you started reading the words. It looked like your playing brain was on automatic which allowed you to focus on the lyrics.

Amazing and beautiful.

Thanks

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic