jayswett learning Pancho and Lefty guitar lesson

jcrocket

Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:36 am

Jay, that was awesome. Hard to believe you're just starting to get comfortable with singing as you play, because you made that one look easy.

Jeff

suziko

Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:30 am

Jay,

That was great. The sound was fine for me (I watched it on my laptop, which maybe doesn't have the best sound to begin with); I could hear both your guitar and your voice really well. And they both sounded just right.

I've liked this song for a long time (I'm partial to the Emmylou Harris version) and looked at the lesson when Neil first put it out, but then felt overwhelmed by the vagueness of the lesson. I watched it back in early summer (I think it was), but as i remember he just gives the chords and recommends a Travis pick and to kind of vary your picking throughout. At the time, that was a little too vague for me. Since then, I've done a few more fingerpicking pieces, and also went through all of the chord solo videos. I wonder if I should give this another try? Maybe I wouldn't find it as hard this time around. How was it for you, putting something together for yourself with only hints from Neil, no TAB to follow?

One question- I'm assuming you arranged the solo and interlude yourself, since I don't remember Neil having something like that in the lesson?

MarkM

Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:02 am

Jay that was superb!! Your playing is so much on autopilot its amazing. To read the words like you did and still keep that song going without a hitch is remarkable. I'd say you are very ready for that open mic night!! Another great job.

MarkM

BobR

Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:42 am

Hi Jay,

Really nice job both playing and singing. I thought I just posted this but it didn't go thru.If you get two you get twice the Kudos

Bob

Music Junkie

Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:15 pm

Jay:

As always, your picking was sweet! The singing is coming along very nicely too. I am envious AGAIN..... B) B)

Love your videos, and your hard work shows. The A/V was very good as well.

J

Yamaha48

Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:54 pm

Hello Jay my friend.
Nice to see this video.
The sound on my Sony laptop (not loud).
My headphone give me the good sound to here this song.
Great to see you playing and singing.
That whas a problem for you,i can remember me that.
Thumbs up for that.

Greetz Anton

jayswett

Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:37 pm

Thanks again for watching. Suzi, I've seen you play many times and I can say with certainty you could easily learn, play and sing this song. Neil's point, I believe, with that particular lesson, was to emphasize the notion that with many fingerpicking songs, it's not important what notes are actually being played as long as the bass notes are regular and consistent. He made a similar point with the Paul Simon song Homeward Bound. One simply does not need to follow a specific tab, as the song sounds great with random variations in the picking pattern. I know you know this already. I'd suggest taking another crack at it, and try go give it an Emmy Lou feel without concerning yourself with how she played it exactly.

dennisg

Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:21 pm

Jay, I don't know the song, but I really liked what you did with it. As usual, your picking is perfect -- and I was really impressed with your singing. It's the best -- by far -- I've heard from you. Congratulations on a really nice job!

michelew

Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:54 pm

Very nice Jay! You sound and play this really relaxful, wich is for the moment very nice to me, cause it's 02.53 a.m.!

jayswett wrote:

A couple of new things for me with regard to this video. 1) I sang as I played. I had to read the words, though, as the lyrics had not been committed to memory. 2) I used a new higher tech USB microphone, and I do believe the sound quality is better.

Lavallee

Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:02 pm

Hi Jay, I sent you a PM
Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic