webostick learning Dear Prudence v5 guitar lesson

haoli25

Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:21 pm

I keep on chopping wood, but I don't know if any chips are flying. Worked on this for most of today. I was having a little difficulty earlier today with some carpal tunnel numbness in my left hand, and I couldn't get through more than two verses without shaking it off.

Recording on video revealed to me that I was still not getting the 5-4-6-4 going consistently. So I was concentrating on trying to get my thumb to get to the 6th string. I also get a little lost in where and how the bridge comes in. Of course, I play much better before the record button gets activated.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

cosmicmechanic

Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:03 am

I will leave any fingerpicking issues to other TG members and your own conscience.

Soooo important that you sang in this video.

All was pleasant ... I can only suggest that you try adjusting your voice higher by increments,
I don't really know if a capo is applicable for this tune.

Very well done, I hope you will post newer versions further down the road.

Pierre

willem

Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:49 am

Dear Wally,,i loved your pickin,,v5,much smoother,,AS for the singin,,relax the throat,,put your breath below and try a higher register,,but i think you where just trying to see were to put those lyrics,,

martinibates

Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:06 am

New to looking at forum, so picked this a bit at random. Enjoyed it. Thanks - has inspired me to look it out and have a go myself

tovo

Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:31 am

Wally I think it's coming along just fine. I really like your voice. For the right tune it will be killer. Something deep...Suzanne by Leonard Cohen maybe?? In terms of playing, I think you just need to relax on this one. You have the "left hand death stare". I know it because I have used it myself. the only cure is knowing the song, which you do...and then trusting yourself.

You've put in a lot of work. Well done mate.

deuce01

Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:35 am

Nice guitar sound and playing. Singing and playing is a challenge for me. I'm assuming that you can play the song real smooth with the camera off and without lyrics. Thats how it is for me anyhow. Putting it all together proves to be difficult. Not sure this will work for you but i try to close my eyes when I play songs like this. Not sure if the lack of sight sharpens my sense of hearing and feel but it seems to help. When i can do that well the lyrics come in easier. Unless i have been tricking myself that it works....lol...
I enjoyed that thanks.

Oh what kind of guitar is that? Couldn't see the headstock. I see you have a LesPaul in the background. :)

Great Job

Pat

buddy

Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:52 am

Wally,

This is coming along very well and all of your hard work on it is paying off. It isi very cool to see you progressing on this song.

Bud

jayswett

Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:57 pm

It keeps getting better and better. It does take some practice to get that sixth string consistently, but eventually you will do it without even thinking about it. The other thing that I will add is that you started out nice and slow (appropriately so), but you definitely increased the tempo as the song progressed. Easy to do , I know from personal experience. Great job on a great song.

Lavallee

Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:54 pm

Hi Wally, It is coming along fine, you are almost there, only practice hesitation still to overcome.

Good work

Marc

AcousticAl

Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:59 am

So I went back to look at your first few uploads of this. Talk about leaps & bounds!!

Your singing flows smoother, guitar playing is cleaner, and even the quality of the recording is better. Did you add a reverb effect?

Anyways, it just shows what you can do with perseverance and practice.
Well done.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic