webostick learning Dear Prudence v5 guitar lesson

Yamaha48

Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:16 pm

Hello Wally.

Nice playing,the singing part needs more time.
Maby a capo give you the richt key for your voice.
Hope to see a upload of this song.
Thanks mate for making this video.

greetz Anton

Craig

Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:19 pm

Wally,
I think it's coming along nicely. I'll leave the technical advice to the other members but I always admire anyone willing to sing. Keep up the great work. I think you will have this one nailed soon.
Craig

Craig

Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:36 pm

Thanks again to everyone for comment and advise.

I just want to share a few things about what I am experiencing or some new awareness I am having as I practice. With "Dear Prudence" you have to hold on to more or less the same chord position for a long time, and that is fatiguing and sometimes leads to my hand getting muscle cramps. So I am paying attention to hand posture, and what I think is more proper thumb at the back of the neck placement. Also with that I am trying to find the way to hold the chord that is the most centered and relaxed, which then increases my strength and stamina to hold on to the chord. Next, I am also trying to pay attention to how to effeciently move from one chord shape to the next. What am learning is that there is planning and conscious pre-placement of the thumb, especially, that allows for a smooth transition to the next chord shape. That is "pre-loaded" ahead of the change. The wrong position almost assures that you be slow getting your fingers to the next chord shape.

Another thing that is new and still trips me up is using an alternate fingering for the D chord with the pinky on the 2nd string 3rd fret. This is an alternate approach and fingering that Neil suggests in the lesson. I didn't like the awkward hand twist and reach with the pinky to get the C on the 5th string 3rd fret. It is much easier (IMHO) to use what amounts to Neil's preferred fingering for Dm, for the D major chord (if you follow my drift). My challenge is overcoming 40 years of ingrained muscle memory of fingering D with the first three fingers.

cosmicmechanic wrote:
Soooo important that you sang in this video.
willem wrote:
,AS for the singin,,relax the throat,,put your breath below and try a higher register,,but i think you where just trying to see were to put those lyrics,,
Thanks Pierre, and Willem, and Martin. Each time I try I think I am a little less inhibited.

tovo wrote:
I really like your voice. For the right tune it will be killer. Something deep...Suzanne by Leonard Cohen maybe?? In terms of playing, I think you just need to relax on this one. You have the "left hand death stare"..
Thanks Tony. It is funny that you mention Leonard Cohen, because I am working on some of his songs just for that very reason. I have about an octave plus two or three notes in my singing range.

deuce01 wrote:
I'm assuming that you can play the song real smooth with the camera off and without lyrics. Thats how it is for me anyhow. Putting it all together proves to be difficult. Not sure this will work for you but i try to close my eyes when I play songs like this. Not sure if the lack of sight sharpens my sense of hearing and feel but it seems to help. When i can do that well the lyrics come in easier. Unless i have been tricking myself that it works....lol...
Thanks Pat. Yes, I am a true guitar god before the record button goes on. I might just upload a blindfolded version as a challenge. My guitar is a Guild D35-nt.

Thanks Buddy. I appreciate the encouragement.

jayswett wrote:
The other thing that I will add is that you started out nice and slow (appropriately so), but you definitely increased the tempo as the song progressed. Easy to do , I know from personal experience.
Thanks Jay. You are absolutely correct. I will work on keeping the tempo steady.

Thanks Marc, Al, and Anton, and Craig. Thanks for your comments and help. It means the world to me.

michelew

Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:13 am

That was beautifully played Wally. I enjoyed your singing too. It reminds me to get back to it. Thanks for he inspiration.
Michele

jim56

Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:34 am

Hey Wally, Good job on your progress. Only suggestion I would make is use the metronome. I agree that learning a new/alternate fingering, like the D chord, is challenging. I'm working on D/F. That darn pinky has a mind of its own, :)

Jim

BobR

Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:56 pm

Hi Wally,

Sounding good and almost there. I think your practicing is paying off. Keep up all your good hard work.

Bob

drfuji

Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:04 pm

Great Job....I have been working on this song...but still a bit away from doing a video. I really do enjoy your videos...watching everyone on here is an inspiration..Thanks!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic