tovo learning Flame Trees guitar lesson

neverfoundthetime

Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:02 am

A man just can't work the weekend in peace! By the time I can log in again there's half a dozen videos to catch up on! This is one of them and it's got lots of good stuff in it. New camera Tony? Really clear picture this time, good sound. As Dennis noted, your right hand is stronger than ever. I know that this is the kind of song that inspires you to learn it, strong lyrics with a story and it's great that you can use what you learned on SGH to get this song down. Goo to hear new songs. Great job Tony!

MarkM

Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:17 am

Tony,

Just got to this and I think its great. Now go to an older video that you did about 6 months ago and look at the difference. Your strumming has gotten so smooth. No wasted motion with your right hand. Nice up/down up/down. Great job with the pick hitting all the strings with even attack. Really great job Tony. I went back a second time and played along with you. Thanks for bringing this song to the group.

MarkM

tovo

Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:19 pm

Hey Anton: Thanks for your kind comments my friend. I'm going off to look at your latest video now.

Chris: Thanks very much. I think I'm done for a little bit, I'm keen to continue developing the Coldplay tune I mentioned but need to sit back, take my time and watch some other members. My belief is the standard of playing across the board is vastly improved and that's great to see. It wasn't a new camera, Cindy kicked me out of the house and down to my "Man cave" as all my microphones, tripods, amps etc were starting to clog up the sitting room. The natural light down there is much better so I think that will be the spot from here in. You're right on the story of a tune of course we have discussed. Cheers mate.

Mark: Yes I do see the improvement. I think no matter how much one practices, it takes a certain amount of time to get the feel. Of course I need to keep working, but I feel much better with my strumming. One of the things I did along the way was watched your videos and tried to replicate yur strumming. I'm thrilled to hear you played along, that's cool.

Chasplaya

Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:30 pm

Tony, the reference to Flame Trees in this song is about Don Walkers (co -writer) early life in Grafton, and about his fantasy about a romance with Hayley Mills. Grafton I understand is famous for Jacarandas, Kurrajong and Illawara Flame Trees because their blossom in spring is like well flames! The name Flame Tree is not indigenous to Aussie however, as many trees around the world are given this name due to the fiery blossom.

Must say again you made this yours with the spoken lines, very innovative.

tovo

Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:42 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
Tony, the reference to Flame Trees in this song is about Don Walkers (co -writer) early life in Grafton, and about his fantasy about a romance with Hayley Mills. Grafton I understand is famous for Jacarandas, Kurrajong and Illawara Flame Trees because their blossom in spring is like well flames! The name Flame Tree is not indigenous to Aussie however, as many trees around the world are given this name due to the fiery blossom.

Must say again you made this yours with the spoken lines, very innovative.
Yeah Chas a lot of flame trees in those parts. Well North of where I am. Thanks for your compliment as well.

BigBear

Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:38 pm

Tony- great tune although I've never heard it before. You've really got those barre chords working for you!

Only thing I noticed is the key change kind of threw you off base a bit but you recovered nicely. I really liked for vocals. It's a great song for your voice. Maybe it's the hat. You always sing better with the hat!! lol!

Another great job buddy! You da man! Keep 'em coming!! :cheer:

tovo

Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:54 pm

Thanks Rick, I really appreciate it as always.

BobR

Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:30 pm

Hi Tovo, well done and nice to see you so clearly in the video!

You mentioned about being a bit too tense with your barre-chords, what I noticed is, when you change chords, like going from E to A, you slide up your middlefinger, ringfinger and pinky, wich is a good thing, but befóre you reach the 5th position to play the A you already mute the strings with your index, maybe you could try to put down your index when you áctually need to play the A-chord, it'll sound smoother and more legato then, just a suggestion of course! ;)

tovo wrote:
[quote]
Lastly, I had a problem with being too tense with my barre chords and I’ve been working on relaxing that left hand a bit, I think there is some progress here.

ceaser67

Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:29 pm

Hi Tony,
you done a great job there of a really cool song,never heard of the band, getting late here in glasgow but i will defo check them out tomorrow,
you have a great singing voice tony something i lack in abundance ime afraid lol,
Thanks for sharing that with us
Tommy (youre scottish friend)

tovo

Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:52 pm

Vanessa: That sounds like a very good tip, thanks I'll give that a try.

Tommy: Thanks man. Check them out.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic