tovo learning Flame Trees guitar lesson

tovo

Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:00 pm

This is a very well know tune in Australia by one of our iconic bands; Cold Chisel. They were hugely popular here but failed dismally abroad. This tune is about a young guy in a small town who loses his love, a pretty common tale!

I posted this for a few reasons. I like to throw up an Aussie tune every so often that few of you would have heard. All the Aussies will know it!

Secondly, it’s another example of how Target helps with learning favourites. You may notice that the chords for this tune are really similar to Sister Golden Hair by America. I worked on that to help my barre chords, and it enabled me to play this.

Lastly, I had a problem with being too tense with my barre chords and I’ve been working on relaxing that left hand a bit, I think there is some progress here.

So in summary, not a Target tune, not one that many will know, but I wanted to show it anyway.

Thanks for looking.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:20 pm

Good job Tony, slightly different to that well known Glaswegian Jimmy Barnes. I liked it and also the fact you used SGH to get here.

Take my hat off to ya.

haoli25

Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:33 pm

WOW, Tony. What a great song. Now I have to go find some more 'Cold Chisel' mucisc. Your performance was excellent as usual. You and that new Taylor are ONE, great playing and singing. That hat is your Superman's cape, you are invincible with it. Thanks for posting your video.

Bill Image

Craig

Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:54 pm

Nice Job Tony! Thanks for introducing me to a new song (and band). Your barre chords look good and sound real clean. I think it's very cool that techniques and chords are starting to cross over into other songs the further we go...definate measurable progress!
Keep up the great work my friend,
Craig

cosmicmechanic

Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:55 pm

Tovo, you are a troubadour here, telling a story with a nice and even rhythm throughout, and sing it with a tone that is quite appropriate. So be sure that 'Cold Chisel' is suddenly a hot item on YouTube (I hope you get a cut($), if there is one to be had). Thanx for the show and letting us know about the band.
Pierre

wammer

Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:55 pm

Tony

Great tune........Your really gettin into this guitar playin thing EH!!!!!!!!!!

Tammy

buddy

Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:09 pm

Tony,

Really good stuff their. I sure love that new Seagull of yours :-)

All kidding aside, that was a great song and thanks for introducing to us. I like the hat as well.

Bud

tovo

Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:26 pm

Chas: Thanks mate. You always manage to remind me that so many of our great acts were born in Scotland! lol. We are a country of imports no doubt about it.

Bill: Thanks my man. Without my hat I am nothing. :) (well actually I am a big bald bloke but you know what I mean)

Craig: I agree buddy using the techniques and progressions learned on Target tunes to play others is really a buzz for me. I'm sure many here discovered that years ago but I'm still like a kid in a candy store learning new stuff.

Pierre: Thanks so much. I know I like to be introduced to new bands (although CC are well and truly finished now) and I like to be able to bring a bit of Australia to TG. I don't know about a "cut" though, they might sue me instead! lol.

Tammy: Playing is what it's all aboot eh! Thanks for commenting. Looking forward to your next contribution, always enjoy your tunes.

Buddy: It's a great Seagull mate! Thanks for the positive feedback on the tune.

michelew

Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:41 pm

Tony you're on fire.

The world's your oyster now mate. If the candy store closed I think you'd still be fine.

Great job! And it never hurts to get more Aussie songs out there either.

Michele

Lavallee

Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:32 pm

Thanks Tony for introducing us to this song. Your strumming is very smooth now and your bar chords change looks really easy.

Thanks for sharing

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic