tovo learning Flame Trees guitar lesson

willem

Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:22 am

Hey Tony,,there were many discussions on the bar/grips,,do you know that Neil not stretch his bar finger,,he makes a kind of a bow,,i think you can relax more that finger,,i tell this because i'm not sure about it,,'m i right??

For the song, i enjoyed it and saw again a great progress,, you even moved the couche and where was that great big smile at the and ???..lol

ps Maybe its fine to put up some lyrics ..

tovo

Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:29 am

Shel: Thank you. Yeah...the World needs more Aussie tunes!

Marc: Thanks, I feel more confident with the barres now.

Willem: I have a bent barre finger, I think I follow you mate. Here are the lyrics, I know you asked for those:

Kids out driving Saturday afternoon pass me by
I'm just savouring familiar sights
We share some history, this town and I
And I can't stop that long forgotten feeling of her
Try to book a room to stay tonight

Number one is to find some friends to say "You're doing well
After all this time you boys look just the same"
Number two is the happy hour at one of two hotels
Settle in to play "Do you remember so and so?"
Number three is never say her name

Oh the flame trees will blind the weary driver
And there's nothing else could set fire to this town
There's no change, there's no pace
Everything within its place
Just makes it harder to believe that she won't be around

But Ah! Who needs that sentimental bullshit, anyway
Takes more than just a memory to make me cry
I'm happy just to sit here round a table with old friends
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

There's a girl falling in love near where the pianola stands
With her young local factory out-of-worker, holding hands
And I'm wondering if he'll go or if he'll stay

Do you remember, nothing stopped us on the field
In our day

willem

Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:57 am

Tony thanks for the lyrics,,it make it ease'r to follow(and i don't mean anything with that),,for the bar finger i want to know if you did this with a bend!! like Neil (the bass notes with the tip and then the bend and grip string one,,cause the other fingers just fret??)

AcousticAl

Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:34 am

Smooooooth & steady, Tony. Really enjoyed that, and the tempo seemed solid throughout.

Your barres seem well in hand as well. Are you going to take another run at Sister Golden Hair?

dennisg

Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:50 am

Excellent! I don't think your strumming has ever looked smoother and less choppy. And thanks for bringing us an Aussie song.

suziko

Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:31 am

I agree, Tony- this looked and sounded great. It's fun to hear a song I'd never heard before, and apparently an Aussie classic! I agree with Al- it'd be nice to see you take on Sister Golden Hair again, just to show the progress you've made since then.

TGMatt

Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:05 pm

Hi Tony,
You continue open up you playing performance. Very strong. I see all aspects of your guitar work, and singing now elevated above where you were a short time ago.

I saw your post thread on asking for Americans to explain ourselves. Well, I have similar curiosity about the Australian culture and character. I've heard reference to "Flame Trees" before, and I think yours is the first time I have heard it. To me it has a little flavor of Bruce Springsteen. Does it evoke something, or is it a more current Australian anthem than "Waltzing Matilda"?

Working on barre chords certainly builds up new muscles in your hand, and some songs tax ones strength and endurance. Looks like you are handling (is that a pun?) it all well.

Wally

jayswett

Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:10 pm

That sounded very professional, and I have to believe that the half talking/haf singing bit isn't easy. Michele is right... you are on fire. Was there a joke in there somewhere about Seagull guitars? I've played on at my local shop and thought it sounded quite nice given the 375 dollar price tag.

tovo

Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:17 pm

Willem: Now I understand. First, no problem about the lyrics, I know it's hard to follow the words to a tune you have never heard before, particularly in another language! With the barres, I put more pressure on the bass and the high E and B string, but the middle strings aren't open, the barre finger is still there.

Al: Another tilt at SGH would be a good idea I think. Like all of us I am contemplating so many tunes but the pleasing thing is that getting on top of them to a point where they sound OK is taking less time than it used to. That's allowing me to do more which is very enjoyable.

Den: Thanks mate, I really feel the more compact strum is working well for me now and I am more conscious of being accurate with the strings I am hitting.

Suzi: It is definitely a well known Aussie tune. Cold Chisel were huge in Australia in the 80's. As I mentioned in my comments to the video, they crashed and burned badly in the USA, they weren't well accepted at all. They wrote a song called "You got nothing I want" when they came home. It was aimed fairly and squarely at the record execs in the States. Angry young men they were! Jimmy Barnes the lead singer would regularly put away a bottle of vodka on stage.

Wally: Thanks mate. I hope there is something for you in my reply to Suzi. Flame trees don't particularly hold a meaning, the song resonates here probably more because the tale is set in a pub! I'm always happy to give my perspective on Australian culture if you have questions. Thanks very much for your kind comments.

Jay: Thanks to you. You're right, the half talking bits took a little work to get on top of. There is one clanger in there where I was supposed to play a B and played an B flat instead which sounded awful. It's easier to get away with when people don't know the tune! lol. Yes the joke about the Seagull comes from Buddy who always says "hey that's a nice seagull you have!" I've never picked one up but some cheaper guitars can sound pretty good. Some cheap Yamahas and Takamines have impressed me with their tone.

Yamaha48

Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:20 pm

Hey Tony my friend.

A nice tune,and you play it verry nice.
Good voice,and the barr chord playing well.
Good to see this video.

Greetz Anton

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic