nesh16041972 4+20 guitar lesson review upload

wrench

Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:18 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
Hi Wrench, thank you so much for you kind comment, I really appreciate it!

As for your question, I think it has to do with a couple of things, sense of rhythm, practice and play a lot of songs using these kind of patterns (Travis-picking, songs like Dust in the wind, the Boxer, Homeward bound, Just breathe etc.) As for me, I was really lucky to be trained when I was so young, my father made me exercise fingerpicking till I went nuts (he never knew about Travis-picking though, haha!). Also I learned to play the drums wich developes a great sense of rhythm as well. So when I learn more complex patterns now, my fingers understand rather quicky and feel the rhythm automatically, so again, I was lucky! :)

But first things first, a good way to practice this is to start with you thumb first, just going from one string to the other, use a metronome, if that goes well, then try to add one string (played with your index) to it, then another (your middlefinger). So one measure of 4 beats contains 8 8th notes, so play with your thumb the 1234 (changing between two basstrings), play with your index all the 'and's, so you get 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and, if that works, thén change your index and your middlefinger. Really you have to break it up in little bits and practice it like forever!

Well I'm rambling on, as Neil sometimes puts it, lol, so good luck with this and thanks again! (wich song are yóu working on??)

All the best,

Vanessa
Well, your answer to my question was just as good as your performance. Thank you for your thorough explanation.

haoli25

Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:26 pm

Great job, Vanessa. Bravo.

Bill Image

stratman3

Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:54 pm

Vanessa,

Excellent job all the way around, fingerpicking, vocals, the complete package.
now I have to get back to learning this song, you inspired me.

Thanks for sharing.
Gary B)

michelew

Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:45 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you very much Bill, I really appreciate it! :P

haoli25 wrote:
Great job, Vanessa. Bravo.

Bill Image

neuz

Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:48 am

Hi Gary, very glad that you liked it! :)

Also nice to hear that it inspired you to get back to this song, it's a lovely song, isn't it? Hope to see/hear it from you soon!

All the best and thanks again!

stratman3 wrote:
Vanessa,

Excellent job all the way around, fingerpicking, vocals, the complete package.
now I have to get back to learning this song, you inspired me.

Thanks for sharing.
Gary B)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic