buddy learning to play SIXTEEN TONS acoustic guitar

AndyT

Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:24 am

Bud,
You did a much better job than the one you were trying to copy. Again, I liked what you did with it.

willem

Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:10 am

This i like very much,as it is a old folk song i know the song,,we did this with all the man in the choir i 'm in,,glad you remember me to it,,i certainly want to try this,,i find you did it very well,,,and moved the sixteen tons till the end..

ps,,also some nice links on your vid,,i like that one with the harmonica to it and looks like nice and crazy folks,,

Yamaha48

Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:36 am

Hello my friend Bud.
That sounds realy good to my ears.
Muchts better than the video from the man
Who explain the chords.
You have a nice strumming,and your voice verry dark.

Greetz Anton

michelew

Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:07 am

That was great Buddy. The only observation I'd make it that it seemed to increase in tempo about 2/3s through as you relaxed into it. Maybe start at that speed. And that voice - WOW - SO rich - you've sure got a gift there.

Michele

jim56

Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:42 am

Hey Bud, well done. No tips from me except maybe prepare for open mic night.
Really enjoy your vids.
Jim

neverfoundthetime

Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:21 am

Long time since I heard that Buddy and you do a really good job. Voice perfect and you did a great job keeping that steady bass rhythm going (you are right, something like that is deceptively difficult to do). Really liked it. Maybe a little flourish of guitar at the end would add something? Otherwise, spot on.

Catman

Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:49 am

Buddy,

This is one of your best performances so far, IMHO

Keep it up!

-David

MarkM

Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:26 am

Buddy,

Great job. You put a huge smile on my face as I was listening to this. I haven't heard this song since I was little kid. Maybe some old Disney show or something. Anyway I really enjoyed this!!!! Great voice as well. I agree with Michele that the tempo sped up a bit and as Chris stated I was waiting for something at the end. Maybe one more measure like the intro and then let it fade. Regardless it was one of my favorites from you. Still smiling here.

MarkM

dennisg

Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:48 pm

I've loved this song since I first heard it in the '50s -- yikes! -- and you did a terrific job with it. The alternating bass was really enjoyable.

Buddy, one thing I'd like to comment on (and I've debated for a long time whether I should even mention this) has to do with your singing. You have a great voice, across multiple octaves, and it's a voice I'd love to have. But I think you use vibrato too often. You seem to add it every time you sustain a note for longer than one beat, and it feels like it's a bit too much to me. Since I first noticed it in your songs, I've been watching videos of professional singers, and they treat vibrato as a delicate seasoning rather than a marinade.

The reason I haven't mentioned this in the past is that this is a guitar site -- not a singing site. Still, based on other posts of yours that I've read, you seem like the type of guy who'd want honest feedback, and would take that feedback in the spirit in which it's intended.

Chasplaya

Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:19 pm

Hey Buddy, Like a few others its been a long time since I heard that song. And wow what a voice, just great a perfect fit for it. And your guitar work is simply awesome the alternating bass maintained throughout is an accomplishment, bring on Old Man River now lol!

Your definitely open mic material now mate.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic