tvarga learning to play Greensleeves acoustic guitar

tvarga

Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:30 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Here's an attempt to learn another of Hector's great lessons.

I know that I don't have all the fingering right (both hands) but I've gotten to the point that I can play this pretty well ... as long as no one is looking! :)

As always, as long as I know that the camera is on, there's a little voice in my head going ... don't screw up. Of course, I promptly go and do just that. One can't play this and make it sound good when one's fingers are tight from nerves.

Anyway, after playing this hundreds of times, I'm getting tired of it and want to get on to another song.

-Tom

willem

Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:33 pm

thank you,,it is not up yet,,so see and hear tomorrow..

tvarga

Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:46 pm

Hmm, it's never taken more than a minute or two for a video to show up. It's been about 20 already. I wonder if there's a problem?

Update... Ahhh, there it is.

willem

Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:55 pm

YES Tom,,it as arrived in the Netherlands also,,,,I was looking at you!!! and you played it very well,,oke ,,needs a litlle work,, i admire you by not looking at your guitar,well a few times then,,was that sight reading,,,,i enjoyed it very much and i gave you a star..

tvarga

Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:07 pm

Yes. I wanted to try something different this time. As I've gotten better at playing, I've noticed that I was starting to develop a 'feel' for where the frets are. So, this time I wanted to not focus on memorizing the song and instead work on my confidence in being able to play while reading the tab. I admit that it looks a little eerie with my looking straight at the camera, but I was reading the tab on the screen. I'm hoping that in time, I'll be able to learn songs more quickly by being able to keep my focus on the tab and only then worry about trying to memorize the song without constantly going back and forth between looking at the tab and then the guitar. We'll see...

tovo

Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:18 pm

Hey Tom,

Way to go on such a difficult piece. I could see "don't screw up" going through your head the whole time! It is a frustration that camera. That piece looks pretty tough to me and you have it down. the only thing to do now is get really comfortable with it and the music with flow.

Very, very well done mate. It's just some more time now to take it from good to great in my humble opinion.

6stringbostic

Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:38 pm

great job tom! i enjoyed your playing this difficult piece. (difficult for me seemed easy for you!)

anywho...

what i'm really curious about is how you can find the time (and patience) to play this piece HUNDREDS of times?!?! i feel that i'm lucky to find the time to practice a song DOZENS of times!! 8-)

thanks for the post....keep em coming! what's next on your todo list? 8-)

Craig

Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:17 pm

Tom,
Good job! You're not alone, the camera kills most of us! It's obvious that you know the song well... the more you play it the smoother it gets. Thanks for sharing, keep up the great work!
Craig

Yamaha48

Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:31 pm

tvarga wrote:

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Here's an attempt to learn another of Hector's great lessons.

I know that I don't have all the fingering right (both hands) but I've gotten to the point that I can play this pretty well ... as long as no one is looking! :)

As always, as long as I know that the camera is on, there's a little voice in my head going ... don't screw up. Of course, I promptly go and do just that. One can't play this and make it sound good when one's fingers are tight from nerves.

Anyway, after playing this hundreds of times, I'm getting tired of it and want to get on to another song.

-Tom
Hello Tom.
Thats not easy to play the tune.
Above my level of guitar playing.
You make a good start with this tune.
Give it the time,and than its yours my friend.

Greetz Anton

buddy

Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:35 pm

Tom,

Well done ! A little time and no camera and you will have this smooth as silk.

Bud

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic