pbraun Heart of Gold V3 guitar lesson review upload

BigBear

Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:13 am

Pete- Great job buddy! I especially liked the harmonia. I think you are the first TGer to actually do that in a video. Your vocals were good and obviously you've got this song down pretty well.

A couple of small suggestions, if I may, to help with the feel. Your strumming is solid but almost too solid. Neil Young puts great emphasis on the first beat of the measure in most songs and especially in this one. To achieve this empahasis he uses a lot of rest strokes or just very lightly played strokes. You absolutely do not need to play every stroke in a NY song. If you are singing, I like the "less is more" school of thought when it comes to actual strokes.

Try playing a heavy first stroke of the measure and then real light follow-on strokes maybe only hitting the 3 or 4 notes of the D chord, so that the Em7 is the dominant sound and the rest of the measure just fills in the this chord.

Also, work on that little riff after the D back to Em transition. Your timing os off (behind) and it's throwing you off for the next measure. This is forcing you play catch up and when you play catch up, nothing good happens! lol!

Great improvement over early versions. Congrats on your hard work and thanks for sharing this with us!

Cheers! :cheer:

suziko

Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:03 pm

I think you are the first TGer to actually do that in a video

Technically, no. Reiver played harmonica, sang, and strummed in Dennis's "win an amp" contest entry. But I think Pete's the first one to do it in a student review upload.

Suzi

willem

Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:10 pm

suziko wrote:

Technically, no. Reiver played harmonica, sang, and strummed in Dennis's "win an amp" contest entry. But I think Pete's the first one to do it in a student review upload.

Suzi
Yes Suzi,you hit that nail and he won and give it away is'nt it,,,there was'nt a crate

wondering how he is doing

BigBear

Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:28 pm

suziko wrote:

Suzi

Suzi- thanks for straightening me out! You know what I meant! lol! :cheer:

pbraun

Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:58 pm

Thanks everyone! Alot of great suggestions here just as I thought.
Suzi- I knew I had seen the harp used somewhere, but nice to know I may have been the first in a student review!
Tony- Thanks for the special comments, it means alot!
Mark- I had never thought the harmonica would add as much to the song as it did, and although it needs work it does feel good to try it. V4-? I may have run this one into the ground, but who knows!
Nesh- thanks, I am working on those runs-

Bear- I see what your saying, I was trying to hit the first note in certain parts but your suggestion makes good sense I will give it a try! I really appreciate your input!
Pete

Hydroman52

Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:57 am

Hi Pete,

This isn't advice or a comment, but just some information that I ran across that you might find useful. You made a comment that you may find other NY songs to play with your harmonica in the Key of G. Check this out:

Neil Young songs and harmonica Keys

There is quite a bit of other helpful stuff here if you are a Neil Young-aholic.

Hydroman52

pbraun

Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:59 am

Hydroman-hey thanks, just a quick look before I go off to work but this looks to be a great site!
Pete

willem

Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:33 am

Hello Pete,,just wanna help you my way,,when you study the picture i think you understand what i give you here,,it are the guitar chords(you know them),,also i give you the hole numbers from the harp, sometimes two together blowin or suck,,minus signe(-)is suck,,its for a G harp,,but you tuned your guitar a whole step down so you must have a F harp,but the holes stay the same,,just make your screen bigger or down load the picture(right clicking and down load) let me know what you think,it is the first part of playing the harp in HOG,,the second part is diffrent but can give you that also and there is a third part i believe,,have fun.. Image

pbraun

Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:28 pm

Thanks Willem,
Seems I am doing battle with a kidney stone not sure how soon I will check this out closer!
Pete

willem

Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:06 am

pbraun wrote:
Thanks Willem,
Seems I am doing battle with a kidney stone not sure how soon I will check this out closer!
Pete

Hi Pete,,that's not so fine bin there twice,,painful,,i got angry after a week and was jumping and walked the stairs up and down,then i got to pi and it was gone ,,a relieve..wish that you soon chek this out and let me know about if you want the other parts..be well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic