pbraun Heart of Gold V3 guitar lesson review upload

pbraun

Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:10 am

Michele- Thanks for the pizza and beer and of course the comments! Hey everyone needs the karma too (I have been listening to Lennons updated cds and Instant Karma has always been a favorite!

Bud- Thanks, I do enjoy this song

Al- Thanks I will keep working on it, I really would like to nail the hammer-ons!
Jay-Thanks
Hydroman52- Wow, thanks for all the input, you really have a great eye and ear. I knew the runs and hammerons needed work but the slide and the #F I just never would have caught. I never noticed the slide in the original recording, but like you said he probably changed it up alot when playing live.
The harmonica advice is great. When I bought one a few years ago I would keep it in the car and try to play along with the song while driving. Found out the harmonica was in the wrong key so I never got it sounding right. Earlier this year I bought a set of harmonicas I tried it with one in the key of E, still didn't sound right so it got set aside. Then there was a discussion and it came out that it was in G. I didn't do anything with it until a few weeks ago, and then tried the G and it sounded closer. I think it will go back in the car with me to play along with Neil Young again. There are certainly alot of his songs that it could fit with.
Singing- a whole other topic, but a good point, I don't think I have a voice of my so I probably do try to sound like the original, something to think about!
Again thanks for the great input, means alot that you put that much thought into it!
Pete

suziko

Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:14 pm

Pete-

Wow- good for you! Singing, strumming AND harping..... it's impressive. Everyone has already mentioned the things I noticed (the timing on the hammer-on being the most obvious), so I'll just add a well-done and keep it up! I love the fact that you're really challenging yourself, setting the bar high. You definitely earn my respect with that!

cheers!

Suzi

reiver

Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:31 pm

Hi Pete

As usual - lots of supportive comments here......but there does appear to be a problem with the pitch. I've tried playing along to find out where the problem lies and it appears to me that your guitar is not in tune. It MAY be in tune insofar as the strings are pitched OK relative to each other - but I tried playing along and can't. Ordinarily - if you just want to play and sing - this wouldn't matter, but if you're going to play along on harmonica then it does make things much more difficult. If your harmonica IS in G. then you have to be sure that the guitar key is genuinely Em or G.....cant remember which.

Of course, I'm well aware that the problem may be on my part - although I do seem to be able to play along with other videos so I'm pretty sure that my own guitar is close to in tune. If anyone else tries to play along and finds no problem with the key I'll jump back in with an apology!

Apart from that - I'm well aware of the problems of trying to play guitar, harmonica and sing at the same time and congratulate you on managing so well.

r

Yamaha48

Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:49 pm

pbraun wrote:
I have loved this song for many years, most of NY's stuff is great especially his acoustic songs. I really have been trying to play it for along time, putting it down in favor of a new lesson the going back to it again and again. I bought a harmonica a few years ago but it never sounded right (learned there are different keys!). Then there was the collaboration and then the first 2 uploads that Neil responded to, anyway I will keep working on this song.
Willem- Thanks for your comments, I will look into the talk group and some you tube on the harmonica!

Marc- I will try the alternate picking, not my strong point that's for sure.

Bob- I know I tend to rush those hammer- ons and runs, Neil pointed it out in his review of my song. I hear it one way and react the other I guess, I need to slow it down at those points.

Pierre-Thanks, I want to try Harvest at some point too. Just so many lessons out there it's hard to stay focused!

Craig- Thanks, don't know how far the harmonica will go but I also thought the song wasn't complete without it.

Anton- Thanks, I have watch your progress on this song and really enjoy the way you sing it. I did this video about 3 weeks ago, but since listening to yours, it has been playing in my head! The harmonica is a G. I don't know much about them really, so I don't know if it's a blues harp or if that is just a term used for harmonicas in general.

Takhak- Thanks, I would probably perfer not to look into the camera!

Chas- Thanks, I never noticed the wrap around either and never would have heard it that's for sure!

Chris- Thanks, it is in G, probably just played wrong!
Hello Pete.
Have you tune the guitar a half step??.
A blues harp have 10 holes.
I play a litle harp.
But first need the song complete.
Thanks fore your kind words.

greetz Anton

Yamaha48

Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:10 pm

no your guitar is not tuning a half step.
Today i tune my guitar a half step.
Thats how Neil young the song play.

greetz Anton

pbraun

Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:47 pm

Actually I have this guitar tuned a full step down, no particular reason, I was playing with barre chords and it is alittle easier. I didn't think about in relationship to the harmonica- that makes sense now.

Off to count how many holes in the harmonica! - Thanks Anton

Suzie thanks , it still needs work and alot of great advise as usual from everyone, it is really what TG is all about and what makes it what it is to all of us.
Pete

tovo

Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:50 pm

Hey Pete. Way to go mate. I think the fact that you are taking on 3 aspects at once is huge and you deserve kudos just for that!

I too think the harmonica needs the most work but that's just a matter of more time and practice. I aslo thought the first run just didn't sound right, I though Hydro really gave you some very good tips to work through. I agree that with some more effort this could polish up into a real "go to" tune for you.

it's nice to be able to give you some support for your efforts, you are a very supportive member for everyone here.

Well done mate, really enjoyed your video.

willem

Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:56 am

SO funny,,i tryed to play along with my G harp and i know you at one too,,i did not strum along with you but you gave me some thoughts to try this song a step lower(does NY really play this a step lower?) and try also a F diatonic riverharp,,,

willem

Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:58 am

Very very well! Good job! Wish I could play it like that!

(Ps. Only be aware of the first riff, it's not exactly in time, count for that matter along with Neil.)

MarkM

Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:28 am

Pete,

Much has been said already. All good stuff. I just wanted to say that your effort here is night and day compared to the first time you posted this song. You have come a very long ways with this. Great job with that!!!!! I'm really diggin the harp there. I'm going to be putting one down on my Christmas list this year. This was a huge video for you!! I really enjoyed it. Can't wait for V.4.........

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic