neverfoundthetime learning to play All Right acoustic guitar

neverfoundthetime

Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:28 pm

Uploading to youtube ....

This is about learning a new song (following up on a thread Tony started about being melody or lyric driven and about remembering songs). It made me think about how I go about learning songs. I love the sound and lyrics of Toad the wet Sprocket and got hung up on the sound of All Right and listened to it repeatedly. I decided it was time to try it on for size but you never know how something which sounds great studio produced with E-guitar and other instruments will sound on just one acoustic guitar. The chords are simple enough, a little riff on Am and G moving to C G Am and C G F. The change from Am to the barred F is a bit of a bummer to do repeatedly on 12 strings, as you will hear in a moment. It’s hard to keep it clean as your fingers tire. So I tried 12 strings then 6 string nylon (no 6string steel available!). The nylon is tuned down a half step which is more comfortable to sing to. I got comfortable with the chord sequence but found the abstract lyrics needed more effort to memorise. Nowhere near perfect but I thought I’d ask you what you think and am open to all feedback and suggestions. I also though some of you may like an introduction to Toad the wet Sprocket so I’ve added 3 of their songs here.

All Right

Something’s always Wrong

Windmills

Lavallee

Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:07 pm

Hi Chris, very interesting experiment. Your 12 strings sounds really good. As you said the F chord is challenging on it . It seems that a pair of vise grip is needed to clamp the F chord on the 12 strings :) . The sound change is quite dramatic between the 2 guitars.

No problem with playing and singing as usual.

Thanks for posting

Marc

AndyT

Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:10 pm

Sounds good Chris. I don't know the group that well so I'd have to listen for nuances.

The video for it reminds me strongly of the video for Sober by Tool.

Yamaha48

Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:10 pm

Hello my friend Chris.
That sounds realy good.
The half step lower tuning,sounds loveley to my ears.
Thanks for sharing Chris,

greetz Anton

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:23 pm

Why doesn't the fact their name is taken from Monty Python surprise me... Thanks Chris its always a delight to hear you sing and in comparison with Frog The Damp Gear, you do it very well. Not much to say about the guitar work really although at times when the singing volume swells you tend to speed up a little bit and then settle back to tempo. Not being a singer myself I can understand that tendency though.

Good job on All Right by 'Anura The Moist Cycloidal Drive'

michelew

Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:45 pm

Chris,

That was lovely and hauntingly sad. You've got such a fabulous voice. it's no wonder you concentrate on singing songs.

No advice from me.

Michele

tovo

Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:46 pm

Great Chris, I don't think I've ever heard your voice sound so strong. Really suited you I think. Beautiful interpretation, I really liked it.

Well done.

haoli25

Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:11 pm

Bravo, Chris! I have to agree with Tony, your voice has never sounded better, a perfect match for this song. I really enjoyed your video. It usually takes me a full day of playing the 12-string before I can get the F chord to come out cleanly. It reminds me that I should play my 12-string more often. If you can get the F chord and B minor chord to come out cleanly on a 12-string, they are a breeze on a 6-string. Thanks for posting your video.

Bill Image

Craig

Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:45 pm

Chris,
Thanks for sharing and I appreciate the look at the two different guitars and sounds. I can only echo what others have said...your voice is very well suited for this song, your playing is solid. Well done.
Craig

buddy

Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:21 pm

Chris,

Man do you have a nice voice. I had never heard of this band before, I will have to check them out.

Bud

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic