neverfoundthetime learning to play All Right acoustic guitar

willem

Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:52 am

Chris,as alway's great singin and i like the long notes,,it is alway''s difficult to keep them on track or pitch for you no problem,,adding songs to a litlle box that's what me attracted to the acoustic(one guitar,one singer),,you have that Fchord pretty well,,i liked your experiment but more in the way of steel or nylon(your 12 sounded great),i always wondering if that could make the singin diffrent,a nylon makes a other sound then steel,,i listen to that and heard a litlle diffrents, not much,, i liked the way you transrcibe the song(i listen to the orginal),,hope you understand my writings but most of all what i mean,,i enjoyed it ,,,thank you and be well,,(met vriendelijke groeten)

AcousticAl

Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:27 am

Nice upload Chris.

I liked your voice/pitch with the 6 string but the sound of the 12.
My vote would be to lower the 12 string a half step.

jayswett

Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:12 am

I realize that this is a guitar website, but all I will say is that I really enjoy hearing you sing.

RicksPick

Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:30 am

Hey Chris very nice

Great video with the dolls
Your version every bit as good, no rearly

RicksPick

neverfoundthetime

Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:47 am

Thanks for listening in folks! I'd be really chuffed if a I've made a few curios about Toad the Wet Sprocket. As Chas correctly pointed out (doesn't miss a trick!) their name comes from a Monty P sketch. They have some wonderful sounds particularly on the Dulcinea and In Light Syrup albums. Maybe more of you have heard Walk on the Ocean (link below).

Marc, it is a big sound change between the two and it's odd that I haven't owned a steel 6 string in the past 20 years because it's obvious that I NEED one now! The Bm is no problem on the 12 but the F always is but isn't on the 6 string. Must be the shape of my first finger! About using a clamp: I once put a capo on while playing a song for a guitar playing friend which required a change of key and I just slid the capo up while playing instead of barring the rest of the song (Something in the Air -Thunderclap Newman)...it took my friend about half an hour to stop laughing!

Andy, The video is a bit disturbing actually, absolutely not fitting for such a beautiful song.

Anton, you are right, the 1/2 step down sounds better with my voice. Funny how these things become much clearer when recorded.

Chas, 'Frog The Moist Cycloidal Drive' could stick ;-). The song has such a great bass line to it and wonderful E-guitar, it's hard to know what exactly to emulate on the acoustic. So I have to settle with basic strumming with my modest skills. This is one I'd love to work out with a band one day. I was busting a gut NOT to speed up... glad it showed! ;-). I am getting better at that though.

Thanks for listening Michele ;-)

Thanks Tony, glad you liked that one... I know you look for new sounds to listen to.

Thanks Bill, that songs does seem to feel right to me. I have the opposite problem, the longer I play the 12, the worse the F gets ... fingers get tired. Bm is never a problem oddly enough and neither is a F#m.

Thanks for listening in Craig! Now you need to get Jim Croce completed and up loaded ;-).

Thanks Buddy that's a great compliment coming from someone with such a strong voice himself!

Thanks Willem, you are coming through laud and clear. I think you are right, the guitars do influence the vocals. To me the vocals sound best with the nylon but I prefer the 12 string sound. So I guess I need 6 steel strings for this!

AL, you just echoed what I wrote to Willem, so we must be on the right track here. How did you find the barred F compared to Bm or Fm on the 12 string you borrowed?

Walk on The Ocean

pbraun

Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:22 am

Chris really sounds good! Never heard the song might be time to expand my collection!
Pete

neverfoundthetime

Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:32 am

Many thanks for listening in Jay, Rick and Pete[/b ]! and thanks for the kind comments. I really enjoy singing... now if only I could play the guitar properly!

wrench

Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:03 am

Has anyone mentioned how great you sang that tune?

The 1/2 step down tuning is spot-on, but I think the steel strings have a better tone for the piece. Maybe down-tuning the Tak a whole step and capo 1 will help both tone and playability?

Great song - I liked it a lot!

neverfoundthetime

Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:19 am

Thanks Dan! You are spot on, of course, and the 12 string is already tuned down a half step. Thanks for tuning in!

cosmicmechanic

Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:43 am

Chris, I TA (Totally Agree) with all the good that has been said about your performance, so I will try another angle.
Can I humbly suggest that it might be possible to appropriately add some "darkness" by experimenting with some palm muting and/or percussive strumming. I gotta repeat: This is a wonderful video, I'm just suggesting a diabolical experiment that you may even have already tried. Great work!

Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic