Web movie of Neil Young performing his new album

cosmicmechanic

Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:29 pm

This is on Neil Young's YouTube channel. He performs his new album "Le Noise". I find it's a real treat. B)

http://www.youtube.com/neilyoungchannel

It's also an interesting example of the interaction between artist and producer:
The album was produced by Daniel Lanois, who also co-produced the film. Lanois has worked with so many huge artists, defining U2's sound, resurrecting Bob Dylan, and on and on. Lanois was then fresh out from a hospital stay after a near-fatal motorcycle accident in which he had damaged a lung and broken most of the major bones on the right side of his body ... maybe feeling more creative than ever?

Seems Neil Young and Daniel Lanois started building an acoustic album, and ended up with only 2 acoustic songs, and the rest electric. The important thing is that Neil Young is alone throughout, no backing band. Lanois says they just made Young's guitar sound "bigger".

The following is a link to a play-by-play commentary by Daniel Lanois about each of the songs on the album and certain techniques used in it's recording:

http://www.youtube.com/neilyoungchannel ... 0PZbDn0Ptk

TGMatt

Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:41 pm

i bought this for Neil....and Im not sure I am a fan...but he sort of likes it...not as harmonic as other albums that is for sure,

TGMatt

Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:25 pm

Neil told me that Neil live acoustically recently doing his old stuff was truly memorable..I wish this was mostly acoustic instead of electric..but I can see why others would like it more..

Lavallee

Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:44 pm

It is good to see NeilY coming with some new stuff. Rather dissimilar than what he did before, but as with he rest it will grow on people.

Marc

cosmicmechanic

Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:13 am

I think this new album is a landmark ... nobody had the guts to do this before, and of course he's gotta have something worth saying.

I admit Neil Young's last album of new material (Fork in the Road) may be regarded as lesser-quality, but this is the real thing. Also, since there is no allusion to concrete politics, as in "Living With War", the artistic message is more pure.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic