buddy learning CATS IN THE CRADLE guitar lesson

buddy

Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:56 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

I picked this song because I love the lesson to Father's that it brings. I decided to try and play it with an alternating base with my thumb and the melody underneath since this is something I have been working on. One of the biggest challenges for me is fitting my fingers into the A chord in the form that Neil suggests because the fret is rather small way up the neck of the guitar. I think I will record it next time Barring the A chord as I think it will come out cleaner.

I was reading the words for this since I don't have them memorized and it made me have a little stone face in the video :silly:

Any thoughts and suggestions to move it along are always appreciated.

Bud

jayswett

Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:09 pm

Very nice buddy. The fingerpicking seems fairly intricate. I've wanted to learn that song for a long time. Well done.

BobR

Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:28 pm

Hi Buddy,

Very nicely done. I thought it was a little fast so I checked out the original and I think you're playing it just about right on.

Reading lyrics, HMMM I guess that's OK :laugh: :laugh:

Great Job

Bob

This is Harry Chapin not Cat Stevens right??

neverfoundthetime

Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:30 pm

Really great job Buddy! Not such an easy one to pick and sing same time I'd say. Great singing, perfect for your voice... seems to get better and better all the time.

cosmicmechanic

Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:22 pm

Hi Buddy, I've always loved this song, even when I was too young to admit it. You've got the delicate picking down quite well and your vocals are well balanced (volume and emphasis). A nice and easy listen.

Care for a friendly suggestion? To me, part of the drama of the well-known original recording of this song hits home in the imagery of the lyrics of the chorus supported by the musical wave of the orchestrated arrangement of the chorus. This leads me to wonder if more drama can be created by using some chords on the chorus, creating a more stirring "wave", instead of only picking. The end result might be richer, even more moving.

Congrats on this fine effort,

Pierre

Chasplaya

Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:44 pm

Excellent, maybe adjust the volume so the guitar comes out more balanced with your vocals. Great voice for this song Buddy.

wiley

Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:46 pm

cosmicmechanic

Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:53 pm

just a thought.

tovo

Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:05 am

Nice tune, definitely one I would like to see a lesson on. You did a real good job of it Bud and made it your own.

I guess Cat was once in a cradle but this ain't one of his tunes.

AndyT

Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:43 am

Very good, you have a gréat voice for those kind of songs! And it's funny, you play better when you sing at the same time, as if your singing wich you do very well in time helps you playing in time even more so, very good!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic