AcousticAl learning to play Here Comes the Sun with melody

AcousticAl

Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:47 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

It's been a while since I've actually uploaded a song for review. Too caught up in demos etc.

Here's a version of "Here Comes the Sun" - chords/strumming while picking out the melody. I learned most of this from Neil's youtube teaser. I really like this way of playing songs, especially if you don't want to sing along.

I've worked on this for quite a while, but I know there's definite room for improvement.

It's also my first real upload with the new Martin! :)

Comments welcome.

buddy

Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:31 pm

Al,

That new Martin sound great. Nice job on this tune. Picking out those notes while strumming is a lot harder than it looks and you nailed it pretty good.

Lavallee

Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Good job of picking the melody Al, it is almost there, a bit more muscle memory to remember the chords (like when you smiled at your left hand). I find this is the toughest part , not having to think about your left hand. The right hand is easier as the the rhythm is normally in us but it is always something new with the left hand.

You did a fine job and the Martin sounds great

Marc

suziko

Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Very cool, Al. I've been playing the fingerpicking version of this for a few months, but it hadn't occurred to me to try strumming it and picking out the melody. I think I might give that a try tomorrow. I've been working a bit on doing this sort of thing, too, thanks to Neil's chord solo lessons. I'm planning on giving Wild Horses a go soon, but this might be a good place to start, since I already know how to play the melody of it from the fingerpicked version.

I missed where you announced that you got a new Martin (assuming you DID announce it). Can you either point me to that thread or tell me about the model? I love my Martin 00-28VS SO much.

Just one minor comment- I think you could slow it down a bit. It just felt a little rushed to me. I have a tendency to rush through this song, too, when I'm playing it, but it seems like the melody might come out clearer if you played it a tad slower. Just a thought.

Anyway, great to see this!

Suzi

AcousticAl

Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:58 pm

buddy wrote:
Al,

That new Martin sound great. Nice job on this tune. Picking out those notes while strumming is a lot harder than it looks and you nailed it pretty good.

Thanks Bud.
Yes- getting the melody in between strumming isn't easy. But I think the added effort is worth it for sure. Makes it more interesting than just strumming if you're not going to sing.

AcousticAl

Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:00 pm

Lavallee wrote:
Good job of picking the melody Al, it is almost there, a bit more muscle memory to remember the chords (like when you smiled at your left hand). I find this is the toughest part , not having to think about your left hand. The right hand is easier as the the rhythm is normally in us but it is always something new with the left hand.

You did a fine job and the Martin sounds great

Marc

Yes Marc- muscle memory (and just plain memory) is what I'm using for the whole song. I must have played this song a hundred times (or more?) to get it to this point. On to the next hundred, I guess.
:)

AcousticAl

Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:05 pm

suziko wrote:
Very cool, Al. I've been playing the fingerpicking version of this for a few months, but it hadn't occurred to me to try strumming it and picking out the melody. I think I might give that a try tomorrow. I've been working a bit on doing this sort of thing, too, thanks to Neil's chord solo lessons. I'm planning on giving Wild Horses a go soon, but this might be a good place to start, since I already know how to play the melody of it from the fingerpicked version.

I missed where you announced that you got a new Martin (assuming you DID announce it). Can you either point me to that thread or tell me about the model? I love my Martin 00-28VS SO much.

Just one minor comment- I think you could slow it down a bit. It just felt a little rushed to me. I have a tendency to rush through this song, too, when I'm playing it, but it seems like the melody might come out clearer if you played it a tad slower. Just a thought.

Anyway, great to see this!

Suzi

Hey there Suzi,

Yes, I was surprised you didn't comment on the thread I posted about the Martin. Look for one called something like "Close Call - funny (and true) story". I think you'll have a laugh. BTW- it's a DC16-GTE.

Re. strumming the melody vs. fingerpicking- I think I would have found it easier to fingerpick this.. but I had started the strumming version from Neil's teaser before he posted the fingerpicking and slack key versions. I didn't want to change gears until I had this one down- which I still don't. I also wanted to get some more stumming under my belt, so I continued with this version.

I agree with you about the tempo. I actually tried to play it slower, but kept ending up at this speed! Will try again.

jayswett

Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:16 pm

Let's see.... You now have a Fender, a Yamaha, 12 string of some sort, and now a Martin. Can a Taylor be far benind?

Nice job on this. I agree with your assessment that you have a bit of work to do, but overall it was very nice. I'd try to slow it down just a bit. I'd love to learn this at some point.

AcousticAl

Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:23 pm

jayswett wrote:
Let's see.... You now have a Fender, a Yamaha, 12 string of some sort, and now a Martin. Can a Taylor be far benind?

Nice job on this. I agree with your assessment that you have a bit of work to do, but overall it was very nice. I'd try to slow it down just a bit. I'd love to learn this at some point.

The Yamaha 12 string is a RENTAL! Going back this month.
I agree about slowing it down. Would also help me nail that pesky bridge!

To answer your question though- A Taylor was also seriously considered.

Craig

Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:12 pm

Al,
Nice Job! I really like the strumming/melody version. This is a song I haven't gotten around to yet, so not much advice from me...I like what you have done so far though. Congrats on the Martin, it sounds awesome. Keep inspiring me like you always do.
Craig

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic