Webtv Dan playing 'Let It Be' Guitar Solo

jayswett

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:15 pm

That was very slick. I really like Drop D as an alternate tuning, and actually am looking forward to learning at some point TreeTop Flyer which is in double Drop D. Looking forward to that Christmas instrumental.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:54 pm

Excellent Dan, just excellent. I think I have to check out some of those arrangements, specifically this one.

tovo

Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:02 pm

Your playing is real nice Dan, I so liked this and look forward to your next video.

Hydroman52

Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:59 pm

Hi Dan,

This sounds great! The drop D gets you down that extra note and really adds to the song. One thing that I noticed is that the notes on the descending bass line seem a bit cut off. It doesn't look like there is a lot of other stuff going on while this is happening, so you could probably hang on those notes a little longer and let them ring a bit more. To me, this run is the focal point of this part of the song, and if it were my song at this point, I would focus on just playing these particular notes, and not even play anything else during the run so I wouldn't be rushing it too much. After I would get the bass notes clean and ringing, then I would work on adding more complexity.

It seems like one of the trade-offs to getting that low D note is that now you have to reach a couple of extra frets up the neck to catch the low G bass note, and that ups the difficulty of this section.

You have a really great sound here, and I think you can squeeze just a little bit more out of it. Oh, one more thing . . . . . your guitar has a really nice tone, too.

Hope this helps,
Hydroman52

cosmicmechanic

Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:15 am

webtvdan wrote:
Not a fan of alternate guitar tunings. Liked the sound of this - it's in "Drop D" tuning. ...
Hi Dan, really enjoyable arrangement there, pro quality. A question about your intro remarks: when you say "Liked the sound of this", do you mean an existing arrangement caught your ear or that some experimenting with "Drop D" lead you to develop it yourself?

Great post!
Pierre

webtvdan

Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:17 pm

Hydroman52,

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m getting much quicker learning the pieces (two weeks for this one) but still see improvement months after starting each project. Agree I need to get more sustain in several spots. I’ll concentrate on the descending bass line first

As far as the guitars tone – I cheated. The Taylor 614CE is plugged into a Crate Acoustic Amp - which is off camera. I’ve dialed the bass up and lowered the high end. I’ve found the Taylor needs amplified for the videos – even when I sing.

Love the playability of the Taylor neck – but the guitar is not loud.

Pierre,

This was the 7th tab I’ve purchased from Jorge Nolla (see page one of this discussion), and the first in Drop D. No mention of the alternate tuning on his website or YouTube Video. I was specifically after another Beatles finger picking solo and like his arrangement.

Easily learned “Never Going Back” after Dean (dtaylor) posted his video here. Hated the “C Wahine” tuning and doubt if I’ll ever play the song again. Lindsey Buckingham can have multiple guitars for alternate tunings – but I have to retune to play his song.

All that said, I’ve gotten pretty quick at lowering my sixth string to a D and then bringing it back to E. Don’t think I’ll avoid ‘Drop
D’ in the future. Probably tackle Neil’s arrangement of ‘Linus & Lucy’ in January after learning a couple Christmas songs.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic