Sunny Afternoon Cover

fiddlechick

Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:28 pm

Hi Bikewrecker,

Great performance. You made a real statement with your choice of Ray Davies and KINKS as your first upload. I admire a lot of Ray Davies song writing and story telling, but a lot of his songs are not easy to reproduce his style. How did a young guy zero in on this song. It inspires me to give it a try, because all the moving bass line and jazzy/bluesy feel looks like a lot of fun. You really have the feel for it. I sort agree with others who commented that you might want to adjust the capo to find the sweet spot for your vocal range -- and then let loose and go with the vamp.

It is going to be fun to see more of your talent. Keep 'em coming.

Wally

AcousticAl

Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:06 pm

Hey Bikewrecker, that was very good!

I had the feeling that you got more comfortable while the song proceeded, that goes for your singing, you started a bit maybe nervous, wich I can understand of course, but along the way your singing became better and more controlled and in tune. About the key, I also have the feeling that you've got a low voice, or are the others right about putting the capo up a couple of frets? What do you think yourself?

As for your playing, you did a very good job, especially the bassnotes and also the F-chord! Just pay attention to your right hand, I mean your thumb, place it befóre your fingers, not inside your fingers, if you know what I mean.

Anyways, I enjoyed your post, keep them coming!

Vanessa

cosmicmechanic

Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:36 pm

Hi Bike,

Really fun to watch this, keep it up: singing, strumming, picking ... maybe you should do some tap dancing, that would be the clincher ! Whatever you decide, it will get even better and more fun.

Pierre

bikewrecker

Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:14 pm

Hey! Thanks everybody for the feedback! I really appreciate it. I will definitely have to mess with the capo a bit more. Not sure why I tried to sing it so low, but everybody seems to be in a general agreement that I should sing it higher. I'm thinking about 2 half steps higher than I did in the video to the capo on the fourth fret. I didn't notice my timing being off, but it really wouldn't surprise me. I'll have to take your suggestion and play with a metronome a few times through to get it solid. Thanks for the heads up on that dennisg.
I've been a target member for about 8 months now, but between school and work I can't devote as much time to it as I'd like to. I just recently bought a webcam and a fancy mic, so you might be hearing some more from me.
As far as this song goes, I had a really great time learning it. I love the sound of the song, and learning it really helped me get the C7 chord down. (It's always been an iffy one for me). Overall I really had a great time playing it and I feel I've learned a lot from it. Highly recommended.

willem

Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:15 am

Hi Bikewrecker,,you aren't Dutch he?? we have a lot of bikes here in Holland were i live,,lol

Fine job on the Kinks song,,,i wish i could play it like you,,just started the lesson..

I read your last post and you were saying that you don''t know why you were singin so low,,maybe i have a thought on that,,,we have people they are naturel's,they listen to a song and there ears are trained well and they can sing right the way it is,, i sing in a choire and when we learn a new song the conductor play's the melody on piano and we must take over the same pitch,,so my thought to you is,,study a bit from the melody on standaard notation,,below i send a picture from it,,some times when you only know the starting note,,in this case an A and can help to stay in key or tune,,you can also play pieces from the melody on you guitar(hope you read standaard notation),,but better is to do that on a piano or keyboard ,when you try this you get a great feeling of the intervals in the melody,,an other way is to write the melody notes in a tab or other music program on the computer and then playback and listen,,,hope you understand my writing and give you something,,that said you think proberly that i can do good singin but i don't,,most of the time i'm off key..lol. wish you the best on your yourney,,,your young.

ps, when you capo'd up the melody goes up with it,,but then you can also think that a octave lower,, i think in your case you can put the capo off,,just experiment..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic