chefrusso learning Stairway to Heaven guitar lesson

jayswett

Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:28 am

Chef,
If you cook as well as you play that guitar, I'll come to your restaurant any time. Well done.

thereshopeyet

Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:51 am

Big Bear wrote:Christian- this is my absolute, all time favorite song and unlike most people you did it proud!! I can't wait to hear you sing it. That is a tall order because neither Page or Plant ever did both. If you can pull it off, YOU DA MAN!! lol!

BTW- this is also my wife's favorite song so when we figured that out, gettin' married was a done deal!

It's great to see someone come back to the songs they played in their youth. It's like a dream come true! I hope to post an old high school band song soon!

Cheers!
Not to toot my own horn, but for being a high school band, we were pretty good. I prided myself in being able to sing like Plant and I even wow people when I sing "Whole Lotta Love" at karaoke ( Stairway is way to long for that, so I never pick it). Thanks to Facebook, I recently got back in touch with all my old band mates and every single one of them is still playing music. The guitarist is really good now and actually got to play with Steve Vai! I would love one day for us to have a reunion show, but this time I'll actually be able to play guitar too.

BTW, this is definitely one of my favorite songs of all time from one of my favorite bands of all time and I've wanted to play it since before I even picked up a guitar. :P I've also been working on "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You", so expect that one sometime in the future. I've almost got the chordal parts down, so now I can start working on the solo.

MarkM

Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:54 am

Stairway Denied....... NOT!!!!! That was great. I really enjoyed that!!! After watching that I want to dust off the strat in the closet. Fantastic Job!!

MarkM

tovo

Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:12 pm

It's ridiculous that dudes get wound up about people playing this epic song. I think it's become more of a tradition thing to go off when someone plays it. Anywhoo....it was great Christian. I've started the long process of learning it myself so I was keen to watch your video. Everyone should be able to play it right?

Great job, keep them coming.

Music Junkie

Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:27 pm

tovo wrote:
It's ridiculous that dudes get wound up about people playing this epic song. I think it's become more of a tradition thing to go off when someone plays it. Anywhoo....it was great Christian. I've started the long process of learning it myself so I was keen to watch your video. Everyone should be able to play it right?

Great job, keep them coming.
I don't care what anyone says either. It's an epic song and arguably one of the best songs ever written; not to mention an extremely fun and satisfying journey in learning to play it. Most of the naysayers would probably give their right testicle to be able to say they wrote this song, or at least something like it. :P

I think the main problem with this song is that so many people play it, but not very many can play it well.... I wanted to be one of the ones that could play it well, and I'm still working on getting better at it.

Thanks guys!

pbraun

Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:43 am

Nice job Chef! It has been a while since I have listened to this song and it sounds good!
Thanks for the electric post!
Pete

Lavallee

Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:43 am

Hi Christian,
I loved it! You have everything under control. Wow! you can play -- and a great inspiration! Guitar Pro backing track and playback is a wonderful and powerful learning tool that I am only starting to utilize. You show beautifully how it can be used. Just a great job all way around. I hope you will share more of your work soon.

Wally

neverfoundthetime

Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:05 am

Thanks Pete and Wally, I really appreciate it! I've fallen in love with using Guitar Pro to help me practice. You have so many tools at your disposal with the program and it really helps you improve. My favorite feature is the speed trainer because it really helps you bring the piece up to speed.

AndyT

Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:56 pm

Wauw, Christian! I'm sorry I'm late to the party, but what a great job!

I particularly like the way you hold your left hand, that is so .....I really don't know the word in english..all your fingers in the right position and staying there instead of wondering around, hopefully you know what I mean..

And recording a song for over 8 minutes, that's mentally not really easy, but you've really kept calm and just played on!

Well well done!

Greetz'

Vanessa

cosmicmechanic

Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:32 am

Thank you so much Vanessa. I'm just starting to get to the point where I can play in a smooth and relaxed way. I've done a lot to focus and control my fingers so that they behave the way that they do now and it's nice of you to notice. ;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic