MarkM learning to play Can't Find My Way Home acoustic guitar

stratman3

Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:51 pm

Excellent work Mark, I loved it
You have made me want to pick this song up again.
I know what I will be doing this weekend

Gary B)

cosmicmechanic

Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:31 pm

Mark, I'm glad for you succeeding in getting this tune down. You must have kind of had to "beat it to a pulp" to absorb and perform it so well. Did you find the learning curve was as you thought at first or unexpectedly steep? I ask because I'm working on a couple of picking tunes that I thought would be in the bag within a month, and over six months later I've made progress, but still can't predict delivery date.

Pierre

MarkM

Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:00 pm

Gary - Thank you!! This is a fun song to play. Enjoy your weekend.

Pierre - Thanks!! Well between Neil's lesson and Winwoods video I kind of put the two together to try and learn this. I had always liked this song but it just felt too difficult. However after seeing Neil's lesson it helped out alot. I found that I had to work on the timing in the middle sections a bit. Going to the A at just the right time. To be honest I didn't feel comfortable with it until just the other day. I was watching the video again and something clicked for me pertaining to the the picking rythem on what Winwood was doing. Especially with the hammerons on the high E string (really a D in this tuning). I had worked on this for a while about 6 months ago and then picked it up literally two days ago as I hadn't played the DN8 for about a month. Everything just fell into place. I find that when I'm learning a new song I'll try and get the chords down first with the correct tempo and THEN I'll put in the extras like the individual picking, hammerons and pulloffs. It seems easier for me that way. Good luck with your songs. I hope to see then put up here when you are ready.

MarkM

AcousticAl

Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:52 am

Hey Mark,

You've still got it, my friend!
Love the deep tones of the tuning. Will need to try this song soon!

Thanks for uploading.

Edit-- What a fun tune to play!! This will be a great song to help with strumming and selective picking for me.
Will be referring to your video often as well.

tovo

Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:50 pm

Hey Mark,

I just got back from the highlands of Papua New Guinea where the internet is still science fiction. This is the first thing I have watched and it was a good choice.

Just beautiful and your picking of bass notes is so clean, smooth and unrushed.

As always, loved watching your video.

great stuff.

Chasplaya

Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:14 pm

Very well played, you know I wouldn't change anything really, its all good, minor issues others have mentioned about tempo, well hey they are minor and if you did play with a band you'd do fine I'm sure.

You owned it mate! Loved the Dred sound

Chas

AcousticAl

Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:28 am

I checked out Winwood's site. He actually held a contest where he would judge the best cover of that song. Ended about 12 days ago. Interesting to hear different people's renditions of the song.

MarkM

Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:32 am

Al- Thanks!! Yeah I saw that contest as well. Some interesting interpritations of that song.

Tony - Thank you. Papa New Guinea????? Wow now that is remote. I say a great show on the Discovery channel about that place.

Chas - Thank you for the kind words!!

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic