MarkM learning to play Can't Find My Way Home acoustic guitar

AndyT

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:10 am

Mark,
That was really sweet. I was so busy listening to the beautiful sounds you were making I totally forgot to watch for any technical stuff. Very nice.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:56 am

Hey Mark, good to see/hear you back posting. Great job! Excellent playing yet again.I guess the dropped C is just about the lowest note you can make on a guitar and it makes the sound really cool. What a difficult song to sing too so congratulations on doing such a good job here. I find this song growing on me and you've insoired me to take a closer look. I really liked that Steve Winwood video by the fireside too.

jayswett

Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:14 am

Several comments:
1) That was a tremendous video. As far as I'm concerned you play that as well as humanly possible without actually being Stevie Winwood. It sounded nearly perfect, and I must say that I enjoyed that as much as any of your previous vides, including Love is a Rose.

2) Your tempo was just right for the intro bit, but you sped up as you started with the C chord (or whatever that is, I can't remember the names of the chords off the top of my head). This is a minor point as it was fairly subtle, and I noticed it only because I do the exact same thing. I've also added that intro bit to my rendition having seen you play it several months ago, which by the way, seems like yesterday.

3) Tuning it down a full step adds to the song in my opinion.

4) Regarding the M-Audio device. I also purchased one and it's alot of fun to work with, even though the one I have is the most basic one you can get (Fast Track). I managed to get it up and working a couple of weeks ago. If you are still having trouble with it, stop by my house next time you are Stratham, and I will show you my setup. I feel a little sillly saying that given your line of work, but nevetheless, I'd be happy to show you what I've managed to learn from my device. I don't recall that your Taylor was/is an acoustic/electric.

Brilliant job on a classic song. I'll watch it more than a few times today, I'm sure. Happy Veteran's Day, by the way.

pbraun

Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:00 am

Mark,
As always simply great I certainly enjoy listening to your playing. It was worth picking up the Dred! it sounds great, interesting tuning.
Pete

wrench

Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:04 am

Well, you haven't lost your picking skills. I agree with Jay that you played that as well it could be.

The Drop C tuning works quite well on your dred, too.

sws626

Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:12 am

Hi Mark,
I've come back to listen to your video several times today. It's just brilliant. This is one of my favorite Winwood songs and you do it proud in so many ways. Knowing that I could not reach the highs he does, I've never considered playing it myself, but I thought you did an admirable job with the vocal as well. Thanks also for sharing the Winwood video. I hadn't seen that before.
-Stuart

dan5619

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:11 pm

Very nice strumming, good job! :)

BigBear

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:20 pm

Mark- great job buddy! I love that song like so many others here have said.

Only suggestion is rather than play it as a straight strumming "Campfire" song, maybe drop down and pick up a few notes in the chords. Along with a heavy emphasis on the bass note picking up a few notes on the middle strings could really add some interest.

Watch Winwood carefully and how he does this. It isn't hard to do and it could add a lot.

I have to admit that I have no idea what an "M-Audio device" is. Is it a mixer of some sort? Better do some research!

Anyway, great job, the 714 sounded wonderful and keep 'em coming! Too cold to fly fish anyway!! LOL!

Cheers! :cheer:

wammer

Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:09 pm

Mark

I really love the sound of your guitar.......You did an excellent job of playing that tune. Sometimes a break away can make you a master of your game.....

Tammy B)

MarkM

Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:50 pm

Rickspick - Thanks!!!! It took a while to get the hang of the pick again. Also the medium guage strings.

Andy - Thanks. I'm sure there is plenty I could improve upon on the technical side.

Chris - Thank you. I'm sure you can do this song justice with your voice. I'd love to hear that.

Jay - Thank you. I did notice the slight tempo increase after the intro as well. I'll have to remember that the next time I play this. I can get away with it by myself but not if I play with others. I've got the M-Audio Fast Track Pro. Very similar to yours. I would like to see how you installed it as I am having issues dialing in the sound. I'm actually in your neck tomorrow morning for a meeting. Probaly to late of a notice for you though. We've got to get together again.

Pete - Thanks. Just showing the dred some love......

Stuart - Thank you very much. I like this tuning. I'll have to see what else I can do with it.

BigBear - Days are short. Nights are cold and long and there are many months to go before I jump into a river with my fly rod. The trick with this song is that you have to keep the tempo and yet still hit certain notes on time. I agree that Steve is doing a great job picking through this song. This version is great. I have many hours of practice on this one to get it just right. The M-Audio device is a USB connected "box" that enables (in my case) to record two to four tracks at the same time. It's 4 I/O's.

Nesh - Thank you!!

Tammy - Thank you. I agree. I'm going back and digging up some older songs that I haven't played much in the past several months and they are just coming out better now.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic